oven placement to the wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oven placement to the wind

Good to be back. Completed my oven a few years back and its been wonderful. I am now wanting to build an oven for a friend and have a few questions.

1. I seem to remember it is a good idea to place your oven in relation to the wind so that the wind would mostly be crossing the front of your oven opening rather than hitting the front of the oven straight on. Is this correct and would it matter if the prevailing winds came from the rear? This oven will be on Ocean front property and fairly close to the ocean so I will want to determine direction of wind before the design process.

2. Second question may not be so easy to answer but I am looking for a ball park figure as to what an oven like what is pictured on my photo album (link to this site below) would be worth. I have lost all the details on what all my materials cost and I work slow so I don't want to charge by the hour but I want to do the job at a fair cost. Thanks in advance for this

Picasa Web Albums - wayne - Wayne's Pizza...

Wayne
    Step by Step of Oven #2 Build... I have built this one in partnership with a friend for a customer that took a liking to my first oven https://picasaweb.google.com/waynebe...42PompeiiOven#

Re: oven placement to the wind

As to the wind direction;
    Check with a local TV meteorologist or airport weather.
    Generally during the day the sun raises the land temperature faster than the water,
    causing air to flow from the Ocean toward the land (sea breeze).
    Reversing at night (land breeze).

As to winds from the rear;
    I would think the baker and guests could get smoked out while trying to enjoy the view.
    One other though, if global warming raises water levels, it might be a better choice to
    locate the oven on higher ground, consider land side of the property.

Just my 2 cents
    Carl
    Enjoy life! It's limited, you only get as much as you take.

Comment

Originally posted by waynespizzaworld View Post
      Good to be back. Completed my oven a few years back and its been wonderful. I am now wanting to build an oven for a friend and have a few questions.

1. I seem to remember it is a good idea to place your oven in relation to the wind so that the wind would mostly be crossing the front of your oven opening rather than hitting the front of the oven straight on. Is this correct and would it matter if the prevailing winds came from the rear? This oven will be on Ocean front property and fairly close to the ocean so I will want to determine direction of wind before the design process.

2. Second question may not be so easy to answer but I am looking for a ball park figure as to what an oven like what is pictured on my photo album (link to this site below) would be worth. I have lost all the details on what all my materials cost and I work slow so I don't want to charge by the hour but I want to do the job at a fair cost. Thanks in advance for this

Picasa Web Albums - wayne - Wayne's Pizza...

Wayne
      For prevailing winds, call your local or regional federal weather office and ask for 'local climatological data' for your area. That will tell you all you need to know about prevailing winds. The Bernoulli effect will evacuate the smoke from your oven easily (meaning, a side, or crosswind will spirit the smoke away efficiently). Be careful, even ocean breezes are affected by orographic turbulence (meaning, wind can be funneled to you from directions other than the prevailing wind...i.e., islands, hills, bluffs, buildings, and such will change air flow in a given area, sometimes contrary to the prevailing winds).

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago. The best response about dealing with wind was to go with an oven door. Several people have fitted an oven door to the outside of the landing with an opening at the bottom to allow air in for combustion, that leaves the smoke no way out but through the chimney. Then, many are making air tight doors to seal the oven opening to keep the heat in for baking. HTH

You might consider ordering a fornobravo oven kit delivered with most of the things you will need for the build. About $1,000 plus shipping.

Two threads about oven doors: the first, and, the second.
      Last edited by Lburou; 01-25-2011, 06:46 PM.
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

As for wind direction and placement of oven, it'll be a compromise with aesthetics playing a big role in which way to face the oven.
        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

It would be hard to predict.

One option is to build with the opening placed for greatest utility and to deal with any wind problems that may arise by using section of windbreak fencing.

Comment

Working...
          X