Dome height on 42 Pompeii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome height on 42 Pompeii

Just double checking on dome height for the Pompeii 42". A few years back when I built my first 36" inch Pompeii I built the rotating jig for brick placement so it went from an 18 inch radius to a 19" inside dome height. I think the plans at that time had the height spec at 1 inch greater than the ID of the oven.

My question is have things changed now so folks are just going with the ID of the oven as the formula for the inside height?

The plans I downloaded a while back say 21" height for a 42 ID oven.

If anyone is interested in seeing photos of the first build the link here Picasa Web Albums - wayne - Wayne's Pizza... will get you to a photo album showing this build. Big thanks to this site as I could not have built this first oven without its support. Wayne
    Step by Step of Oven #2 Build... I have built this one in partnership with a friend for a customer that took a liking to my first oven https://picasaweb.google.com/waynebe...42PompeiiOven#

Re: Dome height on 42 Pompeii

Yes, the standard pompeii is hemispherical, hence a 42 diameter would have a 21 radius.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
      Yes, the standard pompeii is hemispherical, hence a 42 diameter would have a 21 radius.
      This is true unless you are building a Low Dome Pizza only oven

Comment

Originally posted by 100million View Post
        This is true unless you are building a Low Dome Pizza only oven
        or a hybrid, basically, either the radius of the dome (i.e 21 inches) or less

Comment

A low dome is optimal for pizza but will also cook everything else more than adequately.

An elliptical shape with the dome height 90 to 95% of the radius is what I recommend, especially on a larger oven like a 42 inch. If you were building a smaller oven you may want to stick to a hemispherical shape.
          Last edited by Neil2; 01-28-2011, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X