wet mix mortar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wet mix mortar

Photos shown are from my first oven and now trying locally to get the same mortar as first build for my next oven but the super 3000 I used 2 years ago is only available as a pre mix in a bucket. I know the pre mixed is kind of pooh poohed so wanted to double check on this one. The molditX worked great for bigger spaces on the last project and its kind of a castable with 47 percent alumina content that seemed to work well and is still available. I may even use it as is for my castable pieces shown in my photo album. Last time I used a castable with stainless needles. Talking to the supplier today they said the MolditX will work just fine as a castable as well as filling the larger gaps for my main dome construction. My question is about the super 3000. It was nice to work with last time. On photo's shown here you can see at the bottom of first course and also inside of the oven where brick gaps are small it does a nice job. The supplier tells me its the same product as before except it is pre mixed. I have no choice now as the dry is not available in this super 3000. I would like to use same mortars as last time but want to check with those in the know if they can see any problems using this super 3000 in its pre mix.
    I am in Canada and can not easily get a lot of the mortars you may get in the states or shipping will be expensive......thanks wayne
    Step by Step of Oven #2 Build... I have built this one in partnership with a friend for a customer that took a liking to my first oven https://picasaweb.google.com/waynebe...42PompeiiOven#

Re: wet mix mortar

wayne,

did you find anything on this product?

marc

Comment

No, the product is now only available in pre mix. The refractory supply place tells me its great but I have yet to purchase this product but ;my deadline for buying something is tomorrow so I will probably buy the combination of the pre mix 3000 for small gaps and the moldit X for larger gaps. I noticed Marc, you are in Canada. Have you found any thing suitable for small gaps available locally?
      Step by Step of Oven #2 Build... I have built this one in partnership with a friend for a customer that took a liking to my first oven https://picasaweb.google.com/waynebe...42PompeiiOven#

Comment

i am still gathering materials to start my built this spring.
        how fast is this material drying up?
        is it made for small gaps?

pyromix is pre mix, coat max 1/8".

is the super 3000 for thin application?

marc
        Attached Files

Comment

Wet mix mortars are made for thin joints in high heat applications like blast furnaces. They have proved a problem again and again for building domes with their variable gap thickness.

I would take with a grain of salt anything a refractory salesman tells you about wet mix mortars. I think it's a high-profit item (all that water) and they have an incentive to sell it to you.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

As described above I am planning to use two types of mortar, one for big gaps and one for small gaps. I have no intention of using the s3000 for gaps bigger than 1/8th . My big gap mortar will not work for thin joints.

Sorry dmun I am not sure if I understand what you are saying here ...do you mean stay away from pre mix for even small gaps?

Comment

dmun,

please find attached another product and would like to know what you think of it. $40.00/50 pounds.

marc
              Attached Files

Comment

As described above I am planning to use two types of mortar, one for big gaps and one for small gaps.
                Sorry, I didn't get that. How are you planning to wrangle two types of mortar at the same time?
                please find attached another product and would like to know what you think of it. $40.00/50 pounds.
                I think "air setting" is good, but I hesitate to comment on things I don't know about from personal experience. Maybe one of our members with more general masonry experience can comment.
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

dmun and more general masonry experience oven builders

again i found another product that cost more but...

it is hard to source in remote areas

any help will be appreciated

marc
                  Attached Files

Comment

dmun what I had done on my last oven and plan to do on this oven as well as far as the two types of mortar is I would set my brick with mortar for wide gaps on the thick wedge of mortar on the outsides of the igloo. The insides (what is seen from the oven entrance ) I would mortar the following day with the mortar for thin applications.

Comment

Working...
                    X