Will this Flue be effective?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will this Flue be effective?

I may be missing something, but it seems to me that the flue opening partially climbing the dome would totally undo the 63% dome/opening ratio.

I see that the door arch itself is 63% of the dome height but the gasses would be leaving the dome much higher up, so the door arch height would become irrelevant.

Pretty cool software, though.

Comment

Originally posted by TDVT View Post
      I may be missing something, but it seems to me that the flue opening partially climbing the dome would totally undo the 63% dome/opening ratio.

I see that the door arch itself is 63% of the dome height but the gasses would be leaving the dome much higher up, so the door arch height would become irrelevant.

Pretty cool software, though.
      For both model I did the assumption would be the inlet is at the proper ratio. If you are referencing the first model the inlet is only the semicircle at the front, the arched area is a wall.

Comment

Build photos, Build photos, Build photos, Build photos...
        My oven (for now):
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Originally posted by shuboyje View Post
          Here's an overly simplified model of the vent running a pretty realistic volume of standard air. It's not a model of a real world situation in operation in an oven, so the actual numbers mean little, but air is air and oven exhaust being drawn through by natural convection will experience the same effects. As you can see in the model the vent isn't really doing you much good as the air is not able to make that sharp of a turn at that velocity in that short of a distance.

I'll try to model the sloped sides you mention, but they will be very difficult if at all possible due to the limitations of the software I use.
          Well I lit my first fire today and used a lot of green wet wood later to make a lot of smoke, None of the smoke passed beyond my flue, All was sucked up the chimney I am very happy to say. (I was worried by the computer model but Human and Oven say NO). I have now lit another fire and again all gasses are being sucked up the chimney without problem. The first arch is spotless.

Comment

Terrific, my own vent is similar but not as extreme as yours.The big advantage is that it saves space and you can have a shallow entry for easier working of the oven. I see that the rectangular entry area of your flue is much the same as the area of the round section. Yours obviously works ok, but I think it is better if the entry area is larger than the area of the pipe.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I extended the the shoulders of the rectangle 45 degrees to meet the circular flue, It's hard to see but my overall goal was to maintain the same area of flue at every point it's hard to describe and see, But again I lit a bigger curing fire today and as the wood was wet and green there was a lot of smoke, The arch at the doorway is black, but the arch at the entrance is still unblemished.... A winning design...Relief

Comment

Working...
              X