Loooong time to get to temp???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loooong time to get to temp???

Hello all, i haven't used my oven too much this winter and when i went to use it today i had a fire in the oven for 4 hours and never reached pizza temp, never cleared the dome!!! is this because of the temperature? 28 degrees outside the lack of use? i figure it would take longer but seemed a lot longer than usual??? another issue was it seemed like after i cooked a pizza it sucked the heat right out of the floor! more than usual? thoughts please?

Re: Loooong time to get to temp???

I live in Michigan and fire my oven most every weekend. While it can take 3 hours or so to turn the dome white, I have no problem getting the oven to temperature.

Comment

You may have an issue with water in the system! - I meant in the insulation - sorry, been at a remote site for a few days now.
      Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Your oven is almost certainly wet. The difference to an oven between an ambient temperature of 0 F or 100 F is only about 12 percent in heat loss so...one must suspect water.

Comment

i have a section of fiber board in front of oven that is exposed, this is front of board that is under floor. could it soak water all the way in from the exposed front edge? if that got wet and soaked up moisture am i looking at a major problem? i am an idiot for not covering it!

Comment

Just as water can sneak into basements through rock and cement, water can easily penetrate an oven. It sounds like your fiber board made it easy for the water to get in. It's not a big deal. You just have to dry it out again. but the cement should be cured now so you don't have to be quite as gentle.

Comment

i just went outside and looked again. one major issue i have is the oven opening faces the prominent weather direction (wind and rain). so it probbaly has been raining and snowing in on my vent landing floor area all winter! i have an inner door but need to make another for the front!! did i cause permanent damage??

Comment

I have an oven that acted like yours from water sneaking under the hearth from the front opening like you mentioned. I had to use another outer door to keep water and snow to a minimum from making it in. Also, made sure I had a slight angle AWAY from the landing area to the front of the oven so any water would flow to the grout lines, and then out.

Water will always cause problems to these ovens outside. You should be able to dry everything out, but it is going to take a long time. It took me a month of firings.
                My Build Thread

Comment

First, I would agree that landings are a particularly important area to "waterproof" which includes a chimney cap so water doesn't go down the chimney and a sloped landing so water won't sit/soak (actually more like pour) through the rock and mortar onto the slab.

Much rock and, to my knowledge, all mortar is quite permeable to water making the external details of an igloo oven particularly important. Fortunately where I live is relatively dry but after fighting water intermittently for five years I am in the process of converting my igloo to an enclosed oven for just these reasons. (Doesn't help the rockwork is sandstone which is totally permeable to water!)

Stay dry and stay happy!
                  J

Comment

another problem area is where the dome meets the supporting slab all around the oven. Often a crack develops around this join and it can be sealed up with the elastomeric acrylic. Designing the supporting slab to slope away from the outside shell will also help by draining water away from the base of the dome. Water can also wick up from the stand and this can also be slowed by applying a rising damp barrier on the stand prior to casting the supporting slab. If your oven is already built you won't be able to include these features now, but they should be considered in the planning.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

If you were firing your oven every day then it wouldn't really get a chance to get too wet, but after months of rain and no firings all ovens will get wet no matter how well sealed. We find a long slow fire the day before is sufficient to drive out enough moisture so the oven works pretty well the next day.

Comment

Essentially, if you have not used your oven for quite a while you have to re-cure it.

Comment

True, but you don't need to go right back to the tiny fires.

Comment

Working...
                          X