Pensacola Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pensacola Build

A while back I posted a thread in the Introduction section about my wish to build a WFO with an outdoor kitchen area. Until I found this site, the search was simply to find a better way to cook pizza. Like most, I became hooked and found a picture posted by James of an outdoor kitchen area. I decided to reverse engineer the photos to a set of plans. Living in hurricane country, I had to get professional engineering for the pergola. Between that and the permitting process, it took from October last year until a few weeks ago. I'm happy to say I've begun the build. It certainly couldn't have been done without the help I received from this site through posts and photos. I look forward to sharing the ups and downs of the build. I've finished the foundation and have received the 500 or so cinder blocks and 280 fire bricks. The first picture is of the "Anaheim Build" which my build is based on. The other pictures are of the foundation prep and pour. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Leigh

Re: Pensacola Build

Looks like a good start. I'm usually similar in that I can't seem to imagine stuff on my own, but when I like something, I can work backwards.

Good luck!!
    My oven (for now):
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Thanks Tman. I know what you mean about the creativity side of the brain, but the one thing I could imagine, is that kitchen by the pool. There will be some changes to the build, but essentially it'll be like the picture shown.
      Leigh

Comment

Nice start. I find it quite interesting. It looks like you just played in your sand box and scratched out your footers. Did you use a little plastic bucket and shovel?

Where I live in Virginia you need heavy equipment.

I love the setting and your plans please keep us up to date on your project

Comment

Well Faith, you're not too far off. I did have the need of one piece of heavy equipment to remove the 450 sqft of turf (son-in-law). The soil here is of clay and sand which is great for drainage. If you remove the grass just enough to reach undisturbed soil, it's surprisingly compact. I did enjoy my sand box while it lasted. Now onto playing with rocks.
          Leigh

Comment

Glad to see that you are past the bureaucratic stage and have moved on to ribbon cutting and ground breaking. You REALLY are undertaking a very beautiful and ambitious build. Don't let the city , county, and state regs get you down. You will get there soon enough with a fantastic outdoor kitchen.

RT

Comment

Thanks RT. Although the permitting was painful at times, it's reassuring to know the pergola structure won't end up on my roof or someone else's roof in a big blow. The engineering required was much more than I anticipated at the beginning. As you know, the regulations are a bit easier when the owner is the builder. Looking forward to it. Thanks again.
              Leigh

Comment

Finally started laying out the cinder block for the oven stand and cabinet areas. The next step is to complete the four column block structures, frame the hearth slab and call for another load of concrete, about two yards. I hope to build the oven first, then work on the rest of the build.

Comment

Looking good rodeair

So far, it looks like an ancient temple layout
                  Lee B.
                  DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Wow that is no ordinary oven. I think you might need to call this your pizza palace. No turning back now. I am very excited to see your build.

Mike

Comment

Looks like an impressive build, can't wait to see the progress pics!

Comment

Finally got back to work on the build. The next concrete pour required 2 yards, so I opted to have it delivered. I had to fill the column piers and the stand. With a wet pea gravel mix, it went well. I made a gizmo to allow an easier pour into the column piers without filling the center, which will hold the 6x6 columns down the road. I plan to use the 4 inch vermicrete layer for the hearth. I'm really looking forward to starting the pompeii, although I'm going nuts trying to nail down the final footprint for the entry. I like the flared opening a few of the builders have done and will probably go that route.

Leigh

Comment

I decided to go with a vermicrete insulation layer of 4.5 inches. The key for me working with this stuff was the importance of wetting the vermiculite before adding the slurry of portland. Even though the calculations showed I would need about 8.5 cubic feet, I ended up using about 10. I saved any extra for filler down the road. I used 2 bags of portland which gave me a 5:1 ratio. After much deliberation, I decided to do a flared landing area. Since Dino_Pizza had a nice drawing of his, I went with his setup, (thanks Dino). My next puzzle is to decide about the soldier course. I am leaning toward no soldier course at all. Thinking about 2 flat courses layed the way the rest are before starting the angle courses. Still researching that one.

Comment

I finally decided on what has been refered to here as a sailor course for the first string. Apparently a brick standing up is a soldier, while a brick laying down is a sailor. I am using the 3:1:1:1 homebrew (sand, hydrated lime, portland, fireclay). The weather here has been hot and dry, so working with the mortar has been a learning experience. I ran across a thread on the forum which said it is permissable to rehydrate the mortar as needed. That one fact has made the homebrew easy to use in my case. I decided to just cut the bricks on the sides 5 degrees. Toward the top I'm sure I'll have to bevel, but for the lower strings, it's just the side cuts. At the moment, the inner arch is the brain fryer. I decided to work a little in reverse to get the lower corners of the arch fit. Originally I made my dome gage for a dome height of 21 inches. I have since read the height for a 42 inch oven should be about 19.5 - 20 inches for the high dome model. I'm thinking of cutting off the upper part of the template to lower the last 5-6 chains instead of trying to reprofile the whole thing. All in all it's been alot of fun and thank goodness for Motrin.

Leigh

Comment

One more chain done along with the inner arch. I'll start with bevel cuts for the next string. Except for my template shifting for half of the chain, things seem OK.

Leigh

Comment

Working...
                              X