• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waikato pizza
    replied
    Re: I'm getting closer to my Dome!

Originally posted by Aegis View Post
    I am using a 48" level also to help in this end. btw: what is the difference between a 48 mason's level and a craftsman level?
    One Christmas my friend's wife asked him what he wanted as a present. She had trouble buying tools etc. for him. He told her he could really, really use a metric adjustable wrench..... She shopped for weeks asking for a metric adjustable wrench. Of course all the hardware store clerks laughed!

Thanks Eric, I also am suffering from that extra age syndrome! And I am trying to shed some stress with a little less perfection and more function!

Now to figure how to cut my brick thirds in four cuts with proper angles and bevels...
    I am sorry to say this but - I actually own a metric wrench right now!! It has a ratchet thread set at .5mm steps, so you have everything from the smallest up to 25mm metric wrenches - so your buddy could have come unstuck at some point. I honestly thought the local tool shed was taking the P#@# when they advertised it in store on a demo counter, but true enough, there it is and I use it practically every day - it really is good!

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Well the oven withstood Sandy and now it made it through the end of the world. My guess is - it is going to be around for quite a while!
    The original crack in the back has stayed the same, and has not affected the cooking/baking at all. (Again don't sweat the small stuff!) If I lose some weight this spring I may go inside and fill it just for aesthetics.

Hope everyone has a joyous and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Leave a comment:

• irelande5
    replied

good to hear!

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by EricU View Post
    Thankfully!! Good news! I think if my WFO did blow away I just might NOT start another one!

You should have an after Sandy Pizza Party!

Eric.
    Pizza Party sounds good, but I'll use grated cheese instead of sand. no sandy pizza's

Leave a comment:

• EricU
    replied

Originally posted by Aegis View Post
    Forno Bravo Oven 1 Hurricane Sandy 0 The entire structure made it through Hurricane Sandy... or was it a superstorm sandy?
    Thankfully!! Good news! I think if my WFO did blow away I just might NOT start another one!

You should have an after Sandy Pizza Party!

Eric.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Forno Bravo Oven 1 Hurricane Sandy 0 The entire structure made it through Hurricane Sandy... or was it a superstorm sandy?

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by Edwin Payne View Post
    Thank y'all for providing here with the basic tips for novices like me..how much time it usually takes during fall, i mean to re-construct a whole floor??
    Are you talking about the hearth floor with firebricks? If so it didn't take too long having done some prep work ahead of time. Making a template out of plywood helps if you are putting the hearth inside the vertical dome bricks. If you are building ontop of the heart with dome bricks then it should go faster. Not so many cuts to do and none need be circular.
    Good Luck
    John

Leave a comment:

• Edwin Payne
    replied

Thank y'all for providing here with the basic tips for novices like me..how much time it usually takes during fall, i mean to re-construct a whole floor??

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Thanks John, we'd love to stop by some day so I'll keep it in mind. YES! I have put on a few pounds, not sure if it's age, wine-calories or wfo.

I've got 3 pizza/pool/family & b-day party's coming up within 4 weeks so I'll try to post some wfo food pics. Well that settles it: I'm obviously putting on weight for all 3 reasons listed

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
    Oh, you aint kidding John about that roof. I know what it was like to nail something you can't stand on or just grab anywhere.

Is the stone cladding a tumbled paver? It's really beautiful. The colors are great and it has nice old world look.

You and your wife have done a great job. That side counter will be really handy.
    -Dino
    Hi Dino, Yes the stone cladding are tumbled pavers that I "glued" to the cement board with type s mortar. My wife wanted the dry stack look and I have to agree she did a great job.
    btw with all the FANTASTIC food coming out of your goregeus oven, have you gained any weight? I am jealous, because everytime I see you post some food I gain 5 pounds! LOL
    You definitly helped me through my project and if you are ever an the east coast my door and oven are open to you and your family.
    Thanks
    John

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Oh, you aint kidding John about that roof. I know what it was like to nail something you can't stand on or just grab anywhere.

Is the stone cladding a tumbled paver? It's really beautiful. The colors are great and it has nice old world look.

You and your wife have done a great job. That side counter will be really handy.
    -Dino

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Thanks guys for the compliments, I did copy a couple of others on their roof design and fit it into my build. I know I was on Dino's build a lot and several others that are too numerous to name.
    Special thanks to my wife who picked all the color choices, except for the white soffit, which still needs the final coat of a cream color.
    Too busy cooking for painting tho
    Again Thanks
    John

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

Wow!! Great detail on the roof. The combination of materials really went together nicely. I really like the way you did your chimney.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Aegis,

Nice digs, copper details add a great touch. Makes me want to reconsider enclosing mine.

Russell

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Here are a couple of pics of the finished roof. I tried to match the pitch of the roof to the house and that made it next to impossible to get to the ridge for the last couple of rows of slate and to do the copper flashing. I never knew I could stretch so much and work so well on my toes. I am just glad the wife didn't have her hubby cam out! LOL

Leave a comment:

Working...
X