• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aegis
    replied
    Re: I'm getting closer to my Dome!

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
    Great work John. The rear door is a great idea for viewing your thermocupler unit. I love the chimney. I was surprised you used durock for the roof sheathing with slate, then I read you used SS screws instead of the copper nails. Good thinking there.

Moving along real fast now. Can't wait to see it all finished.

-Dino
    Thanks Dino, I copied,used,stole a LOT of ideas from your build! (slate roof, seperate side bottom storage area, lights....) I was worried about having wood over the insulated dome, I am sure I worried for nothing and it took a while to screw in the slate. But on the other hand, hammering nails in with my lack of experience, I would have needed another square of slate for breakage! Again thanks
    John

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by flyfisherx View Post
    Hey John, where did you get your clay flue liner from?
    Southbury Stone, they have a store in Cheshire Ct. which if it is not in stock they will get it in a day or two.
    I did an angle cut and put two pieces together to form a "funnel" wide at bottom and flue dimension at top. It works like a charm, even before I put the final decorative arch outside, I never had any soot/smoke out of the front of the arch area.
    I don't think I have any flue left over, they were two foot lengths and the remaining cut pieces measure 7.5" ID and 8.5" OD I think it was an 8" square flue.
    Great progress btw!

Leave a comment:

• flyfisherx
    replied

Hey John, where did you get your clay flue liner from?

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Hi John,

I been following your build and ended up using foam glass/CaSi combination putting 2" of foam glass down first since it is water proof topped with 1 1/2" CaSi board since it is less susceptible to impact damage or cracking as you mentioned to me in a private message from "russellw123". Did you end up using this arch thermal break in this posting or did you do something else. I am starting my arch soon and looking for input. Also, I am placing two thermocouples in my build. If you only had two where would you place them?

Russell
    Hi Russell,
    I did use a 1/4" thermal break between the decorative arch and firebrick arch. I did not fill the gap with anything yet, and will probably leave it open.
    Two thermocouples, Hmmmm.............Pizza/bread - one in the center hearth brick about an inch from the top of the brick, the other in a dome brick about 80% of the the way up the dome. That dome thermocouple I would put on the outside of the brick if you were going to be baking bread. That would tell you when the entire dome was heat saturated. Pizza and cooking use - two in the hearth, one placed on the opposite side of your coals and the other in the center. That will give you a idea of floor temps so you can place the pies according to their temp needs. (so you don't burn the crust before the toppings are done. )
    Hope this helps
    Good Luck John

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Hi John,

I been following your build and ended up using foam glass/CaSi combination putting 2" of foam glass down first since it is water proof topped with 1 1/2" CaSi board since it is less susceptible to impact damage or cracking as you mentioned to me in a private message from "russellw123". Did you end up using this arch thermal break in this posting or did you do something else. I am starting my arch soon and looking for input. Also, I am placing two thermocouples in my build. If you only had two where would you place them?

Russell

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Here is a pic of the type S cement I used for a home brew mix. I added three parts fine sand and one part fireclay and it worked great for the vent area and chimney flue.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    Thanks John, I'm not frustrated by it I just want to finish it. I have been working on it for about a year and a half. You know, not enough free time (two small wild boys and a busy wife). I feel like I am constantly trying to reinvent the wheel at each step. But thanks for the look.

-Beer always works for my back pain, lots of it.

Mike D
    My oven quest has taken almost two years, some of that I blame on a bad winter, (two winters past) and some on getting the oven to the point of using it. Once I started using it and having great pizza, the motivation was almost non existent! I had to look up every step and learn how to do it each step of the way! (again thanks to Dino, Bob, Ken and everyone else that helped or I stole ideas/techniques from!) So the walking through molasses in the winter trek I also experienced. (misery loves company) But it was all worth the trip for sure!!! Hang in there, you are doing a great job!
    John

Leave a comment:

• Mike D
    replied

Thanks John, I'm not frustrated by it I just want to finish it. I have been working on it for about a year and a half. You know, not enough free time (two small wild boys and a busy wife). I feel like I am constantly trying to reinvent the wheel at each step. But thanks for the look.

-Beer always works for my back pain, lots of it.

Mike D

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    Nice doors, I like the ipe.

Mike
    Hi Mike,
    I love your round enclosure, although you seem to be frustrated by it, it does look great! Great brickwork and an original design idea, is a hit as far as I'm concerned!

I love the Ipe on my deck and it seemed a natural to continue using it for other projects.
    Thanks for the positive comments, they help keep my back pain at bay!
    John
    Last edited by Aegis; 05-17-2012, 03:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
    Great work John. The rear door is a great idea for viewing your thermocupler unit. I love the chimney. I was surprised you used durock for the roof sheathing with slate, then I read you used SS screws instead of the copper nails. Good thinking there.

-Dino
    Thanks for the compliments, Master Dino! I used your build MANY MANY times to help with my oven. The compartment on the side, slate roof, copper flashing, all are copied from your beautiful, detailed build! I hope your thread isn't copyrighted I would be in a heap of trouble!
    Again Thanks
    John

Leave a comment:

• Mike D
    replied

Nice doors, I like the ipe.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

-Dino

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

For the rear doors I used Ipe wood left over from the deck project. I took 1x4x5/4 and ripped them in half for 1x4x3/8 and used those for the doors. I had a left over 2x6x12 and used that to make a door frame. Here are some pics of the doors, lights and storage area. I know the durock isn't level at the top of the door frame, that will be covered.

To all the Mom's out there, HAPPY MOTHERS DAY! Enjoy the day you all have earned it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Now it is time to figure out the rear storage area / thermocouple readout. The read storage area will be used for storing peels and oven tools, along with weather protection for the electronics. Here are some pics of the steel frame, although I may have to resort to some lumber for support of the double door frame I am thinking of installing. I have electrical wire for overhead lights and some floods for the rear area. It is definitely way too dark back there at night!

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Moving right along this past fall, (winter was coming quickly) I had finished the steel work and started the durock siding and I also used durock cement board for the roof. For the soffit I used fiberboard and facia is one of the only combustible products, pine board. Here are some more pics. With the roofing paper installed, the copper drip edges were next and then the slate started. I used stainless screws to hold the slate into the cement board. I didn't feel copper nails would penetrate and hold into the cement board. Plus my hammering skills for slate would be a challenge for sure. The challenge? Would I break more slates than I installed until I exhausted the entire Vermont slate supply!
    Last edited by Aegis; 05-12-2012, 06:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X