X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aegis
    replied
    Re: I'm getting closer to my Dome!

Ok fire brick has arrived and I still an not sure on laying the hearth flat or standing them on edge for more mass! I have only had ALL WINTER to decide. lol My hearth is a bit on the high side and that may make the decision for me. Anyway I have the 4" thick pieces of foamglas and some firebrick for some measurements and a look and feel so to speak on the hearth height. I think I will need to "set" level the foamglas first and then put some fireclay/sand mixture for the hearth bricks to be bed into.
    Any suggestions on what to use to level the foamglas? fireclay/sand? mortar? I can see the top pieces are not level and worse some rock back and forth. So it is also for stabilizing the hearth/foamglas base. Thanks in Advance
    John

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by buckeyebreadman View Post
    I hope I'm not speaking out of context here but are you referring to Roofing Slate?
    If so, I have quite a few pieces that you can have for free...just pay shipping....let me know...
    Thanks for the more than generous offer, I did secure a square of slate roofing material from evergreen slate co. they did ship them down from upstate NY to Ct. Again thanks for the generous offer. And you are not speaking out of context, if anyone has free copper flashing... Yeah I am day dreaming in another universe! LOL
    Thanks
    John

Leave a comment:

• buckeyebreadman
    replied

I hope I'm not speaking out of context here but are you referring to Roofing Slate?
    If so, I have quite a few pieces that you can have for free...just pay shipping....let me know...

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied
    Re: Source for foamglas?

Originally posted by Cheesehead View Post
    I've thought of using this too, but I can't find anyone who might distribute it. Where did you find it? How much did it cost ? (I know you're in CT & I'm in WI, but...)
    Hello Cheesehead,
    Where abouts in W.I are you? Close to Milwaukee? I get out that way from time to time for training classes. Anyways - The Foamglass comes in rectangular blocks that are 24" x 18". The blocks can be ordered in thicknesses of 2" thru 6" and come in 1/2" increments. Here is pricing I got:
    4" = $8.06 per square foot From Specialty products and insulation which shipped it to a local dealer in stamford ct.
    FOAMGLAS?, ecological cellular glass thermal insulation systems for durable solutions in building, HVAC installations and industry, produced by Pittsburgh Corning.
    You can locate a distributor through this web site.
    It does not ship ups very well at all, the corners get pretty banged up in shipping, if you go that route. Mine was trucked up for a 50.00 delivery fee.
    Good Luck
    John

Leave a comment:

• Cheesehead
    replied
    Source for foamglas?

Originally posted by Aegis View Post
    It is called Foamglas from Pittsburg corning, I am using it as the 4" insulating layer under the hearth. FOAMGLAS?, ecological cellular glass thermal insulation systems for durable solutions in building, HVAC installations and industry, produced by Pittsburgh Corning. Great stuff I hear from others that have used it. It is a foam insulation made from glass, as I understand it, glass containing millions of bubbles filled with co2 so when you scracth it, it smells like rotten eggs. But compresion strength and insulation properties are excellent. ( I hope)
    I've thought of using this too, but I can't find anyone who might distribute it. Where did you find it? How much did it cost ? (I know you're in CT & I'm in WI, but...)

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Thanks Mike for the sound experienced advice! Your build looks super! I love the roll out carts that double as counter space. Brick work is superb! I see your heart is a little higher than the bull nose tile, I am considering doing the same, was there a specific reason for the difference?
    Thanks
    John

Leave a comment:

• SableSprings
    replied

I planned/built what I thought was a pretty good landing area (21" out from the hearth bricks and a total of 65" across). I have been cramped a few times, but mostly that's been because I hadn't figured out my routine for oven loading. I bought a long (60") banjo peel from F.G. Pizza and had no problems accessing the back of the oven...60" back from where I stand. The one problem I had is that when I used the peel, I had to watch out for whacking someone standing behind me. I've since added a 40" peel and that works out much better. Get a pair of long, leather welding gloves (Cabelas has a terrific pair from their camping section) for those few times you really need to reach in deep. I've put a picture of the initial (oven front only) landing area and the final working front. Check my picture album in Forno Bravo (The Dragonfly Den - posted by SableSprings) or on a Dragonfly Den photo link at www.sablesprings.com - Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

What have people used to secure their slate roofs? Copper nails? Stainless Steel Screws?
    Thanks in advance
    Now that spring is here I am finishing up the small section of patio blocks around the hot tub and will now diligently start on the fun part, THE Dome! Yippee!! Just cutting a cardboard template for positioning. Also looking at options for a front hearth/shelf. How deep should the shelf be? I understand too deep will make a much longer reach to the back of the oven. Anyone with some guidance in this area?
    Thanks in Advance
    John

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by dmun View Post
    Look for used materials. Call demolition and roofing contractors, and find out who they sell their salvage to. Put an ad in craigslist. Central CT is full of 19th century structures, there must be a lot of slate around.
    I did try several reclaimation places and some local contractors without luck. I did get some advice on trying a slate quarry in NY evergreen slate co. Great people to work with and have experience selling and shipping slate for brick ovens. I just got my order in today and the slate is beautiful. Here is a link - Slate Roofs I talked to Phil who is quite knowledgable and helpful. (which for me was great, since this is another area I lack ANY experience) What have others on this site used for roofing underlayment? Plywood,cement board, pine or oak boards? And if you used slate, what did you secure it with? Copper nails, stainless steel screws? I would rather not use a material that is flamable for roofing, but I don't think using copper nails in cement board is a good idea either. As always, any and all help/experience is WELCOME!
    Thanks
    John

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Thanks Neil, You and everyone else on this site make it a wealth of knowledge! These comments are priceless, can never get too much advice, comments etc.
    Again Thanks
    John

Leave a comment:

• Neil2
    replied

"that the insulating firebrick will be a good bottom"

I would avoid using insulating firebrick on the bottom if it is exposed. It is relatively soft and may suffer abrasion / damage through use. It is fine on the sides or top where it won't get much wear and tear.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by dmun View Post
    Look for used materials. Call demolition and roofing contractors, and find out who they sell their salvage to. Put an ad in craigslist. Central CT is full of 19th century structures, there must be a lot of slate around.
    I will go that route, I had been a little hesitant, due to Conn. not having any salvage yards, they are called restoration or re-claimed antiques! That usually triples the price of dirt around here! It gets down right embarrassing to have someone tell you they will sell you reclaimed wood (taken from a barn that fell down) for triple the price. Now, if the barn fell, how good is that wood?
    Anyway, I will try the craigslist route and call some roofers in hopes of stumbling across a stray square!
    I have added this link incase you thought I was just kidding! http://www.reclamationlumber.com/index.html

Thanks
    John

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Anyone in New England, know where to get roofing slate in Conn.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Anyone in New England, know where to get roofing slate in Conn. I understand both Vermont and upstate New York have companies in the Rutland VT. area. But shipping one square ( I will be needing 100 square feet coverage) is cost prohibitive I would think. Please, All ideas and leeds are welcome!
    Thanks
    John
    Last edited by Aegis; 03-13-2011, 04:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Whats foamglass?
    Im in Oz and we dont get a hell of a lot of variety in products here for some reason.
    It is called Foamglas from Pittsburg corning, I am using it as the 4" insulating layer under the hearth. FOAMGLAS?, ecological cellular glass thermal insulation systems for durable solutions in building, HVAC installations and industry, produced by Pittsburgh Corning. Great stuff I hear from others that have used it. It is a foam insulation made from glass, as I understand it, glass containing millions of bubbles filled with co2 so when you scracth it, it smells like rotten eggs. But compresion strength and insulation properties are excellent. ( I hope)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X