FB Mortar vs homebrew??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FB Mortar vs homebrew??

First of all, any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

The question is in regards to the second version of my oven (a 42" pompeii style). The first version was built strictly with Heat Stop pre-mix and the results have been disastrous. The mix takes forever to cure; cured unevenly and often cracked if not kept moist enough. I blamed some of this on building an oven in the winter in the Pacific Northwest (it was constructed in a heated garage).

So, should I purchase the FB Mortar or is there a "proven" homebrew that is generally accepted as a legit high heat mortar?

Seeing as how this will be the second build, I'd rather not build it a 3rd time. And yes, third time is the charm, but hopefully not in the case...
    Last edited by o_morehart; 03-24-2011, 09:32 PM.

Re: FB Mortar vs homebrew??

-I will jump in here, but I am no expert.

-From what I have read, the premix Heatstop is not what people have been using on this forum. Their is plenty of Heatstop 50 (a dry 50# bag) not wet in a bucket. The wet stuff has given people problems (like you I guess).

-I am still building my oven using FB mortar and I like it, seems to be working fine, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Some people love the home brew mix, and wouldn't use anything else.

Good Luck

Mike

Comment

To me there is no decision ----Homebrew!!
      My 40" Pompeii was built around 3 years ago over a single weekend (see my build for pics, hints and dates), and not a single crack in the dome. Apart from the price (and it wasn't available here then), but many builders using the refractory adhesives have reported problems, some more serious than others.
      Neill
      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
      Neill’s kitchen underway
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I was curious about the same question.........then saw Neill's note and spent the past hour reading that whole thread......NICE job Neill!!!

Comment

The first version was built strictly with Heat Stop pre-mix and the results have been disastrous. The mix takes forever to cure; cured unevenly and often cracked if not kept moist enough.
          We keep hearing problems about the wet pre-mix, from different vendors. The refractory dealers must push it hard. I'll bet it's a high-profit item.

I used Heat-stop. I had cracks which are structural rather than mortar related. I'd use the homebrew if I did another one.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I just finished my build (cooked 8 pizzas last night - phenomenal) and I used heatstop 50. no cracks whatsoever inside, a few hairlines outside where I slathered it on. i kept it damp with wet towels over the weeks it took me to finish. then i air cured it for 10 days before beginning a series of 10 fires. the dome temp now doesn't register on my 1100F IR thermo. I recommend heatstop 50, cured correctly. Also soak the firebrick then let the dry out before setting them.

Comment

Working...
            X