vent and chimney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vent and chimney

Still planning my vent and chimney. really appreciate all the help. from looking at all the pictures of vents i would like to build a vent box fo about 18"-2' and then place the chimney (duratech) on top of this. it looks like most builds the chimney attaches without much vent but either way is ok (correct) also when i build the vent is it ok to put the bricks on there side (would like to dissapate heat) or is it better to lay them flat as they will get very hot ?? my dome is going to be enclosed with hardibacker but the front vent face will come out as a chimney thanks again

Re: vent and chimney

I just stuck the chimney flue on top of the outer and inner arch opening. not much of a vent at all. It draws real well, and the chimney doesn't get that hot. all the heat flies up the chimney so fast.

Here's a link to the pics:

PhotoPlog - Dome and Floor

PhotoPlog - Dome and Floor

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...dex.php?n=4663
    Last edited by Paul in Rockwall TX; 03-30-2011, 04:43 PM.

Comment

wow your oven is looking great. my problem is i need to have about an 8' chimney total (close to house) and i would like to use 6' of duratech pipe. did you enclose your chimney with brick or can you leave it to the weather (it really doesnt get hot?) thanks

Comment

the flu liner is 8", about 10 on the outside. I have about 2" of void around it.

here's a better view. so the whole thing is about 12" square. I'm going to measure the temps this weekend, but I think its OK

PhotoPlog - Insulation

Comment

thanks that would be a great help to know the temp. also if you could measure the temp. of the exaust smoke at the top or if you know about what it is i would really appreciate it thanks again

Comment

I'm having a pizza party Friday nite, so I can take a couple of measurements and let you know this weekend.

best regards,

Paul

Comment

Insulated chimney units shouldn't get very hot on the outside. If you like how it looks you can leave it exposed.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

do you think it will get hot if the front faced is exposed (no insulation) and only a firebrick laying on its side (not flat) thanks for reply

Comment

Working...
                X