X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PizzaIdiot
    replied
    Re: Cheesesteak's WFO build - Take Two.

Looks good! Is it as easy at looks? How long did it take?
    Is the rest of it real rock or 'faux' rock? In any case, I like how it looks.
    -jeff

Leave a comment:

• Cheesesteak
    replied

Scratch coat done . . .

Leave a comment:

• Cheesesteak
    replied

Originally posted by SCChris View Post
    I love look of the rough edge on the SS counter top! How did you do it?

Thanks

Chris
    Thanks Chris -

I just used a hammer and a chisel. The guy I purchased the soapstone from told me how to do it - and I was amazed at how easy it was. I did practice a bit on a scrap piece prior to having at the big slab.

It's done with a good masonry chisel and a hammer. Strike a line 1/8" or so from the edge and just work your way around the slab. You've got to hit it hard enough to go 1/2 way through - and you tilt the chisel towards the outside of the slab. Light sanding on the top and bottom edge and brush the chiseled surface to remove and sharp edges. I was really amazed at how easy it was - just real nervous about breaking the slab.

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

I love look of the rough edge on the SS counter top! How did you do it?

Thanks

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Cheesesteak
    replied

I edged the big soapstone counter top and installed it yesterday. Now for stucco.

Leave a comment:

• Cheesesteak
    replied

Got a bit more done this weekend. I put the stone on the front of the oven - and finished the stone work on the chimney. I'm really looking forward to the end now . . . just some stucco work and it's a wrap.

Leave a comment:

• Cheesesteak
    replied

I've made a bit more progress and am getting ready to wrap up this project.

This past week or so - I've finished the block barbecue island base, ran all my electric, cut/edged/installed my soapstone entry counter, and put up the stone arch.

A bit more stonework this week - and then stucco.

Getting there . . .

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Right now my plans are to make the entryway out of a sheet of stainless steel. Underneath the steel I will just use firebrick splits and a ribbon of insulation between the entryway and the edge of the soapstone floor, which I pre-cut to leave an airspace at the bottom. Some builders have put vermicrete in this space, others have put ceramic fiber insulation. Others just but the two surfaces together and leave an air gap.

John

Leave a comment:

• Cheesesteak
    replied

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
    Cheesesteak,

What a killer piece of stone! I don't even wanna ask what that set you back. Can't see the red tint in the pic it but will make beautiful counters. Depending on how you configure your oven-front SS slab, you may want to put in a thermal break. SCChris has some data in one of his threads regarding oven residual heat-loss through his soapstone entryway.

It's mind-boggling how heavy soapstone is. Take care of your back and get lotsa help moving/cutting that beast.

John
    Thanks John - I really love the soapstone - and I'm looking forward to seeing how your oven floor does. I'll think about the break - any ideas on what to use, other than insulating brick?

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

Cheesesteak,

What a killer piece of stone! I don't even wanna ask what that set you back. Can't see the red tint in the pic it but will make beautiful counters. Depending on how you configure your oven-front SS slab, you may want to put in a thermal break. SCChris has some data in one of his threads regarding oven residual heat-loss through his soapstone entryway.

It's mind-boggling how heavy soapstone is. Take care of your back and get lotsa help moving/cutting that beast.

John

Leave a comment:

• Cheesesteak
    replied

Today - on a whim - I (actually my wife. . . ) decided to see what my local soapstone provider had in stock - and ended up picking up this beautiful soapstone slab for the counter in front of the oven and an island I'm going to build adjacent to the oven. It's 68" x 106" and should work fine for both pieces.

This supply of stone has a hint of iron - so there's a reddish tint to part of it. The pictures don't do it justice - it's a beautiful piece of stone.

I'll cut it, polish, and install next week.

Leave a comment:

• Cheesesteak
    replied

progress is moving a bit slower than I prefer on the enclosure - but I moved forward with FIRE to clear the dome yesterday.

I just had a half cord of almond firewood (seasoned 2 years) delivered a couple of days ago. That wood burns beautifully - and smells fantastic.

Anyway - I took my time with this fire, like the others, and watched how the dome behaved as I increased the temperature and the top of the dome began to glow white, working its way down to the bottom . . .

The dome cleared nicely and no cracks at all and no problems. Although it was interesting sticking my iPhone in the oven for the pictures.

We're ready for pizza. The push is on to get the enclosure done.

Leave a comment:

• chidding
    replied

That roof looks magic.. love the colour.

Leave a comment:

• Cheesesteak
    replied

A bit more progress. Yesterday, I got the fascia boards cut, painted, and installed, as well as the metal roof.

To celebrate - I BBQ'd a nice ribeye and cracked a nice bottle of Cab - lit another fire in the oven to continue the curing process. My cement board flue casing apparently works just fine - several hours into the fire and the cement board was ambient temp.

I'm going to try to clear the dome later this week. Taking my time - to try to avoid cracking . . .

Leave a comment:

• Cheesesteak
    replied

John -

You can sand those scratches out - start with 80 and go up to 220 - that's how the fabricator blended the seam in my counter. He said every 5 years or so you can lightly sand the counters to bring them back to "new."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X