Cheesesteak's WFO build - Take Two.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cheesesteak's WFO build - Take Two.

I've got two color coats applied - and I'll wait until next week to apply the AkroTique. I'll finish the electrical tomorrow - install the fridge. Grand opening Sunday!

I also laid some stone and pavers in the wood storage area and fridge area - sloped towards the front just a bit to provide god positive drainage. I think it gives the floor a good look - even though it'll be covered with wood and by the fridge . . .

Comment

Dan, I really like your paver floor idea...I may borrow (read: steal ) it. Should help keep the wood dry. What did you use on your soffits?

Thanks
      gene

Comment

What a beautiful oven, Dan! Great job all around!

Can't wait to see pics of the food that comes out of it.

Comment

Congrats on getting to the home stretch. I am a few weeks behind you with mine. I love the soapstone. I wanted soapstone but gave up when I got the granite so cheap. Everything is just working here. Beautiful!
          49" Recirculating LOW DOME Pompei build with welded stand:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...log-15903.html

Comment

ggoose - my soffits are 1/4 hardibacker with stucco (just two color coats - no scratch).

gt40 and John - thanks. It was exciting to get started on this, my second oven - and it felt great to close the dome. The downhill ride from there is longer that a lot of people think - and I got to the point of just wanting to finish so I didn't have to spend any more Saturdays working on it in the backyard.

I wrapped up the electrical today - nice to have the lights, outlets, and fridge out there.

I'll get one last picture once I've AkroTiqued - and then from there it'll all be food.

Comment

It looks great!

You've managed to match the color of my house! I'm considering making mine white, but just in case, what color did you add (and how much) to achieve your color?

thanks,
              -jeff
              Jeff
              My 42-inch build

Comment

Originally posted by Cheesesteak View Post
                ggoose - my soffits are 1/4 hardibacker with stucco (just two color coats - no scratch).

gt40 and John - thanks. It was exciting to get started on this, my second oven - and it felt great to close the dome. The downhill ride from there is longer that a lot of people think - and I got to the point of just wanting to finish so I didn't have to spend any more Saturdays working on it in the backyard.

I wrapped up the electrical today - nice to have the lights, outlets, and fridge out there.

I'll get one last picture once I've AkroTiqued - and then from there it'll all be food.
                I think you are so right on this. It has been a couple months since I finished the dome and doing the wiring countertop etc is taking a bit. What fridge did you go with?
                49" Recirculating LOW DOME Pompei build with welded stand:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...log-15903.html

Comment

P.I. - I think that color is "Featherly," Omega's color #9201. You purchase small color bottles and add the appropriate amount to the OmegaFlex product.

gt40 - I went with a Frigidaire refrigerator - Model BFPH44M4LM (4.4 CF). I liked the size of the fridge - holds a decent amount of stuff.

I've had several fridges outdoors - and have never purchased an "outdoor" refrigerator - and have never had a problem. Our weather is rather temperate here in Northern California - except for the occasional 110 degree weather.

I made 30 or so pizzas Saturday - it's great watching everyone "take their turn" making pizzas. What a blast.

Comment

Well - thought I'd check in. I've used the oven at least a half-dozen times and can't believe I went two years without one.

After five full firings - I developed a small crack (about the thickness of a business card) in one side of the dome. The crack ran from the bottom of the oven and ran straight up, about 2/3 of the way to the top of the dome. It was thickest at the bottom, and got smaller as it moved up.

I probably shouldn't have worried about it - but I decided to patch / fill the crack. Having disposed of all of my home brew ingredients, I picked up a bag of mortar and bag of fireclay - mixed (50/50) a slurry and continued to try to force material into the crack, which was really too small - but I kept trying.

I let it dry for a week or so, had a couple of small fires before firing it up again this weekend. Fired it up - with no signs of any more cracking - and the "patch" held just fine. It's like finally getting a dent/scratch in a new car - it's done and no I can just move on.

Anyway - had a great time again making pizzas - had around 25 or so folks over. It's great to watch the kids shaping dough - making "ghost" pizzas and pizza in the shape of Idaho.

Some pics . . .

Comment

A few more:

Comment

Originally posted by Karangi Dude
                        Hi Dan,

I love this oven and the whole entertaining area you are certainly a craftsman at what you do.
                        Thanks KD. I paid quite a bit of attention to your build - and my inner-outer arch transition borrowed from your playbook. it really seems like the ideal method to build that entry arch. It draws quite well and is nice and shallow.

Enjoy the summer - as we prepare from winter up here . . .

Comment

Cheesesteak,

I have to agree with everybody else. Your oven looks awesome and it sure seemed to go up fast as I read through your build thread. Nicely done on everything. The stucco look looks awesome so I might have to consider that.

The food looks amazing! Keep up the great work!

Nate
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...two-21068.html

Comment

Originally posted by Pompeii Nate View Post
                            Cheesesteak,

I have to agree with everybody else. Your oven looks awesome and it sure seemed to go up fast as I read through your build thread. Nicely done on everything. The stucco look looks awesome so I might have to consider that.

The food looks amazing! Keep up the great work!

Nate
                            Many thanks Nate. I've got to say - I absolutely love this oven. It's interesting - my first WFO was a "kit" oven - and I don't think I had the same affection for it as I do this one - likely because of the time I spent cutting and placing each brick.

I'm planning on building an arbor/pergola around it soon . . . so stay tuned.

Thanks again!

Comment

Okay - Phase II.

I'm planning on getting some shade around my oven. Last summer - a few 110+ degree days made it a bit too warm to be hanging out by the fire. So - here's what I'm thinking . . .

Big 10x10 columns, 8x12 (or x14) beams, 6x8 rafters, and 4x6 for the top. I've found a guy that does hand-hewn work on the wood - and stains it a nice dark color. I'm going to raise my chimney by a couple of feet - but we've kept the wood pretty far from the chimney.

Thoughts are welcome . . .

Comment

I'm noticing more the wood structures like you are planning, although most of them are not as nice as yours.
                                I would like to understand the benefit of the structure. I don't see how they provide any benefit in the heat of the day when the sun is overhead. If the sun is lower in the sky (morning/evening) and the overhead beams run North-South I can imagine that there is some additional shading. I'm obviously missing something.
                                Let me finish by saying what you have looks great.
                                Jeff
                                Jeff
                                My 42-inch build

Comment

Working...
                                X