Cheesesteak's WFO build - Take Two.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cheesesteak's WFO build - Take Two.

Well - got a bit more done on the oven today. I was going to go to HC Muddox for some "seconds" only to call and learn that they no longer sell seconds . . . ugh.

Anyway - I headed to my local brick supplier, picked up a bunch more firebrick, and finished up the hearth. I was surprised at how "imperfect" the bricks were. I dusted s fireclay/sand mixture into some of the bigger gaps and wet it down a bit. The wind is a bother today - steady at 25mph, gusting much higher. It's not conducive to working with find sand and clay - more blew away that made it on the floor.

I also broke out the HF saw and started to cut bricks in half in preparation for the first couple of chains. Of course - I had to stack them in the rough location of the dome to keep myself motivated and feel like I'm getting something done.

I'll finalize my template for the floor tomorrow - maybe try to set the first chain. Who knows . . . .

Comment

Okay - trying to lay out the arch. I'm going to bevel the bricks - bu wanted to see where I was. Using the good 'ol string - the dome will hit the top ofthe arch.

I'm trying to figure out a good way to leave a reveal. I'm thinking of building two arch diameters. One is my 19" wide x 12" high for the oven opening - and the other will be a 21" wide x 13" high to give me a 1" reveal for a door.

Lookie here:

Does that look right? Any problems that anyone can see?????
      Still dealing with 30mph winds today - ugh.
      Thanks.
      Last edited by Cheesesteak; 04-30-2011, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Hi Cheesesteak,

Yes, I see you need shims under the arch form. Cut hand holds into the front of your form to make it easier to handle and remove.

Did you plan on using a keystone in the arch?

All the best,
        Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Originally posted by Cheesesteak View Post

I'm trying to figure out a good way to leave a reveal.
          Just notch the brick and build one arch with a reveal. #6 here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ntry-2635.html
          Last edited by Les; 04-30-2011, 08:50 PM.
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by azpizzanut View Post
            . Cut hand holds into the front of your form to make it easier to handle and remove.
            Also pack the form up on some shims 5, 10 or 20mm doesnt matter.
            When finished and dried without the shims the arch form will be very hard to remove, the shims will just wiggle out making the form just drop out.
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

azpizzanut and brickie - thanks for the tip on the shims - good idea.

Les - I originally thought to notch the bricks like that - but once I got some half-bricks stacked on my form - I thought - why not just build this half-brick arch. and then build the flue/outer arch just a bit bigger. That way - I wouldn't have to notch any bricks.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Cheesesteak View Post
                azpizzanut and brickie - thanks for the tip on the shims - good idea.

Les - I originally thought to notch the bricks like that - but once I got some half-bricks stacked on my form - I thought - why not just build this half-brick arch. and then build the flue/outer arch just a bit bigger. That way - I wouldn't have to notch any bricks.

Thoughts?
                Even though I haven't placed one brick! (in other words - no experience behind my next statement) Notching the bricks not only looks good, has less joints to crack, but also is a narrowing of the heat transfer passage to the vent area. Notching the brick will narrow the brick thus constricting heat flow.
                Anyone- does this make sense?????
                Build Thread:http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/i...ome-15521.html
                Photos: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brick-...67884/pic/list
                Oven Blog: http://johns-brickoven.blogspot.com/...ven-folly.html

Comment

Well - I went ahead and built the oven entry arch. Time to get going on courses . . . .

Comment

I see you moved well past this issue - and it's looking great!
                    Did you ever get an answer on the width?
                    What did you finally decide?
                    I'm figuring 68" but I'm going to use 8" bricks, not 9".
                    I'll still use 69", that will give me a little margin for error.

Jeff
                    Jeff
                    My 42-inch build

Comment

Originally posted by PizzaIdiot View Post
                      I see you moved well past this issue - and it's looking great!
                      Did you ever get an answer on the width?
                      What did you finally decide?
                      I'm figuring 68" but I'm going to use 8" bricks, not 9".
                      I'll still use 69", that will give me a little margin for error.

Jeff
                      Jeff - I just went with the 65" width - and it looks like everything will fit (tightly) . . . It's only "close" at the base of the dome and only at that one point where it's at its widest - so I'm not really concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Karangi Dude
                        Hey Cheesesteak,
                        Works for me vent arch a little bigger.

Cheers Doug
                        Doug - that's exactly what I intend to do. I recall seeing your pictures and wondering why more people don't build that way - it looks so much easier and efficient than notching all the entry bricks.

Your oven looks great - it looks like you didn't bevel and bricks in the dome - at least early on. Is that correct?

thanks -
                        Dan

Comment

Form pulled - still standing! This thing is solid. I've sprayed down the mortar a few times over the past 24 hours to keep it curing - I don't want anything giving . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Karangi Dude
                            Hey Dan,
                            If you meant did I taper any of the bricks, I didn't for the first few courses then I started to taper just one side for the next few courses. I only tapered the bricks on their sides not the top and bottom, for the last courses I had to taper both sides.
                            Dan could I suggest that if you intend having a decorative arch that you cut back to a single brick for your vent arch that way your entry won't be to deep. Mine is nice and shallow and is easy to work with and I don't get any smoke out the front.
                            Looking Good.

Cheers Doug
                            Thanks Doug. Yes - I'm going to do a decorative arch out of stone. I just looked again at the pictures of your arch and I'm going to do the same thing. Great idea with the bricks turned so the "thinner" profile shapes the outer arch.

More work tonight when I get home from work . . .

Comment

I mortared my first course on top of the hearth bricks.

I debated a bit about using the "indispensable tool" versus cutting a quarter-circle / arch to use as a form - and decided to give the indispensable tool a shot. I've seen so many variations of this thing - I thought I'd try to put together something simple - and very inexpensive.

So . . . I walked around HD a bit and let things find me. I ended up with a low-duty gate hinge, a piece of poplar, and a 90 degree Simpson StrongTie angle bracket. I wanted to use a gate hinge because I thought that I could construct the tool in such a way as to have a 21" radius at the bottom but reduce it to around 19 1/2 - 20" at the top. I'm amazed at how well this thing works. Took me around 10 minutes to build and cost a whopping $3.00 and change.

I tested it and ran it up and around the entry arch - and all of my dome bricks will contact the arch. So - my little Google SketchUp exercise really worked quite well (Arch Location)

Course 2 tonight . . .
                              Last edited by Cheesesteak; 05-04-2011, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Cheesesteak,

That's how you do it. I made mine from materials I had at hand. Yours will work just fine.

Cheers,
                                Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Working...
                                X