Tapir Force Steps up to the plate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tapir Force Steps up to the plate!

I will send pictures of the inside of the dome tomorrow. I am trying to locate my fisheye lens. I decided to start on the chimney. As per earlier posts, I already cut and fit the flue. I dropped one of the halves against the front and cracked the opening arch. I hated to do it, but I took out the front eight or so bricks. It will actually make mortaring in the flue piece easier. That said, I do not like the reverse gear on this pizza juggernaut. But an hour or so is not abig problem and of course, the bricks are already cut.
    Before I became enlightened, I carried water. Now I am enlightened and I carry water.

Comment

How did the sand form work out for the final few courses?
      Would you do it that way again?
      I hope to be to that stage in the coming weeks and looking for ideas.
      My build thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/m...-mn-15832.html
      My oven build pictures:
      http://markandcherylscabin.shutterfly.com/pictures/178

Comment

Congrats on finishing the dome!

Comment

Here are pictures from the inside of the dome this morning. The sand from the form and some of the excess mortar is in various stages of removal. I am a pretty big guy, and the dome work is slowed a little by the tight confines and the claustrophobic nature of the work. When it gets a little creepy, I just center on the patterns of the work and the visions of warm bread.

The pictures show a few of the small voids where the mortar was not pressed completely through. Any thoughts on those would be greatly appreciated.

The sand on the top of a false floor for the final courses was a success for me. I do not expect that for some of the artists who are measuring every seam to insure that things are to within an .125"inch tolerance margin would agree. There are two major types that I see on this forum. They have more in common than they differ. They both want a strong oven that is well insulated and will last for years to come. They both want an oven that cooks well and is easy to use. But then there are the differences.

The differences as I see them are that while some want an aesthetically pleasing structure with an ultra clean look inside and out. There are others here who want their oven to look nice, but they are satisfied with an oven that has cosmetic flaws. They are focused on the cooking and the fact that a well cooked loaf of bread comes from a work of art or a good bread oven is not as important to them. Niether position is better. It is just a difference. I had a young friend who looked at my oven. He went on and on about the bread from his oven and how his family and friends love the things he cooks. He never once commented on the look of my oven. As he was leaving, he said mine would have been a bit more interesting if I had built mine of cob like his. Then on Saturday, some friends that stopped by were sure that mine would eventually turn out to be beautiful, but if they built one they would have an expert do it so it was just perfect. No offense taken. It will be beautiful as I can safely say that the building surrounding my Pompeii is something I can do very well. Some people want a good show dog. I have a scratch and dent, rescue German Shepherd. He looks good, but he has issues and a tail that was bitten halfway off as a puppy. Sitting down, he could win Westminister. I digress.

More chimney work today and more pictures later.

Robert
          Before I became enlightened, I carried water. Now I am enlightened and I carry water.

Comment

Looks good, don't listen to those people. Everyone can build their own oven how ever they want. Tell them to keep their opinions to them selves if they want to get invited over for pizza (if they can't say something nice). keep it going and make your oven how ever you want.
            -A cobb oven can't compare to a Pompeii.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Tapir Force View Post
              There are others here who want their oven to look nice, but they are satisfied with an oven that has cosmetic flaws.
              The ceiling of my oven is not photo worthy because the form work I used moved a little during construction, but I dont care as the oven cooks beautifully.

Tell you so called friends to go jump..
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I'm going to state the obvious here....

The best thing about your oven is that it is done. Done the way that works, as demonstrated by millions of Mediteranians past and present.

I'm sorry to say it Robert, but these comments say a bit about your friends/acquaintences....I've had to work with people who were so insecure they couldn't stand to see me succeed. At anything. So, on and on it went, putting everything down so they would look good. :-/

You did a good job, and time will show it. Your thorough personality will find great tasting recipes....Then, everybody will know your oven, a product of your creation, is a great success!
                Last edited by Lburou; 05-09-2011, 03:48 PM.
                Lee B.
                DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

I think it looks pretty darn good.
                  Can't wait till mine gets to that point.

I have a feeling that if your friends were to ever actually hire those "EXPERTS", they would be sorely disappointed (although I doubt they would admit it). I don't believe there is an abundance of Residential Brick Pizza Oven Builders out there. As a matter a fact, you are probably the closest thing to it in your area. Besides, I think the reason we all build these things is for the satisfaction of building something with our own hands.

Mark

PS I like your story about the Five Year Plan turning to Fourteen.
                  I started my cabin/lakehome 6 years ago and I am still going at it.
                  My build thread:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/m...-mn-15832.html
                  My oven build pictures:
                  http://markandcherylscabin.shutterfly.com/pictures/178

Comment

Chimney flue piece went in this afternoon. That went amazingly well. I would recommend the way I did my chimney to anyone in terms of ease of installation. The thing made my front entryway arches very stable.

To all of you who have passed along good wishes and gave me the words I should have said to my visitors, thanks. I just think the one couple is a bit on the perfectionist side, and the other was experiencing Pompeii envy. Cob has some appeal when you can't find any other materials.

Still would like to hear if there is anyone who would be overly concerned about the few small voids on the inside of my dome. Are there any high temp mortars in a tube for a caulking gun that would allow me to shoot a little mortar into these small recesses. Or are these things nothing to worry about?

Robert

Comment

• Re: Tapir Force Steps up to the plate!

I wouldnt be too concerned about a few holes as long as the bricks have no chance of falling out.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

-You could use a grout bag and just push it in. If it falls out it falls out, but it might stay and fill any needed voids.
                        -How did you do the flew by the way. Did you cut a rectangular section at an angle, flip it and then put it back together?

Mike

Comment

Mike D,

I thought of using the grout bag, but was not sure the home brew would squeeze through it. Have you done that type of thing? Do masonary supply stores sell these critters?

I took a few pictures and posted them at the beginning of my thread on cutting the flue. I got the idea from another thread which I cannot find at the moment. I used two 8" square clay flu tiles in order to get the 14" base for greater draw. But the guy whose thread I saw this on was using a 16"x8"x24"tile and was thereby able to do with one tile what took me two. I fortunately had a few tiles and I made drain spouts out of the tile that was left over.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapir Force View Post
                            Do masonary supply stores sell these critters?
                            A sturdy plastic bag with the corner cut off would do the job, its all about the DIY....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Yes a grout bag would be at any stone yard and HD. It's like frosting a cake, but brickie is right, any plastic bag (thick one or doubled up) with the tip off will work. The bigger the hole the more grout will come out when you squeeze it.

Mike

Comment

Not much work gets done on a pizza oven when in mid-May, the temperature does not get above freezing. There will be plenty of hot days coming, but this is a bit much. Pretty as it is, May is supposed to be spring. This is winter.

Comment

Working...
                                X