Brick Specifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brick Specifications

Would someone please comment on the attached spec sheet for the 12 X 12 floor bricks for a 42" oven. Although these are called high duty fire brick the alumina content is pretty close to the medium duty specs on the FB kit descriptions. The supplier said he called FB and they said the bricks would be fine. I would like to be sure these will be ok and not burn my food. Any comments would be most welcome. Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: Brick Specifications

I think the high duty refers to their resistance to abrasion.

As for burning food, the more heat you put into an oven the more it will burn, I wouldnt think brick type would matter.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

There are plenty of folks on the forum who would love to find 12" x 12" bricks for their oven floors. I live in North Carolina in the middle of a major brick manufacturing region, but the only firebricks I have found are the regular builders shape. I'm very envious of your good fortune!

I am curious about the price of these bricks. Do you mind sharing that information?

Comment

Stoveup,

ANH Refractories carries a 12"x24"x2.5" brick 'tiles' that cost around $32. I fell in love with them when I picked up my insulation from them, but went the soapstone route for the floor.

If you're interested, they're located in Charlotte.

ANH Refractories

John

Comment

I just unloaded them. I paid $23 ea. They look pretty good, but very fragile corners. I'm a little concerned about all the handling prior to final placement. I think rather than laying out by dry-fitting, I'll make some 12 X 12 lightweight blocks of some kind for all layout work and try to handle once at final placement.

Comment

Ted, thanks for the cost info They don't think much of their tiles do they?

John, thanks for the lead. I looked at the ANH website a while back and did not see the tiles. I'm close to Charlotte - so someone in California has to tell me about what's in my own backyard? Now that's embarrassing!
            Still, I appreciate the information.
            I am also thinking of going the soap stone route. I have a piece of sstone that isn't quite large enough, so I'm looking for another small piece or two. I am thinking of putting the sstone on top of a layer of firebricks.

Bob

Comment

Bob, Yeah, I admit I was like a kid in a candy store when I 'toured' the ANH distribution warehouse in Los Angeles. But the only reason I found out about the tiles (they were stacked up outside in back of the building) was because I asked. I hope the Charlotte facility has them!

Regarding the soapstone, have you ever considered going half SS and half firebricks for the floor? Depending on the size of your oven wouldn't that be the ultimate in versatility? This concept didn't occur to me until I'd already installed my 100% SS floor, but I may try it on a second oven.

Although my oven is not yet completed, I've convinced myself that 3cm soapstone on top of the 2.5" firebrick 'subfloor' is going to provide a great hybrid combination of heat transfer and heat retention.

John

Comment

Hi,

I am not sure if i am posting in the right place. I just had a quick question about these fire bricks i bought. They are from an old broiler and are 9" x 4 1/2". Please let me know if they would work in a brick oven.

Comment

Working...
                X