9 x 11 x 4.5 fire brick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 x 11 x 4.5 fire brick

i have a bunch of these and was wondering if anyone here knows if they would be too thick for the floor... been planning to build for a while and might be getting started this summer...

Re: 9 x 11 x 4.5 fire brick

While I am not the expert that normally would answer this question, one thing that comes to mind is that this is going to be collecting a great deal of heat in the floor. From what I have read, this might be desirable for those who want a large bread oven that will be used for multiple loaves of bread (commercial bakery perhaps). The extra heat in the floor for just pizza? Well I think that it can be done, but you will have to try and find a way to regulate the extra heat stored in the floor. Of course I expect others will correct me if I just said something really dumb.

I had a bunch of those as well. I might build a kiln with them when I finish my oven.

Robert
    Before I became enlightened, I carried water. Now I am enlightened and I carry water.

Comment

i was thinking that the floor would just recover faster after cooking pie, not get hotter...??

actually got them to build a kiln but thought i'd build a nice oven too

Comment

Not get hotter, just hold high temps longer. That is a lot of mass that will be storing heat. I suppose that might not be a problem in terms of cooking lots of different items or multiple batches of bread. I actually did increase the mass in my floor to facilitate baking lots and lots of bread. That is not always a desirable trait if the temperature exceeds a threshold you wish to avoid.

I have the equivalent of 4.5 inches in my floor. It will hold temps and recover quickly as you have pointed out.

Robert
        Before I became enlightened, I carried water. Now I am enlightened and I carry water.

Comment

i would like to use the oven to bake bread and make other dishes at lower temps as well. how long do you have to heat you oven to get to pizza temp? how long does it hold temp for? also would thickness remove the need for insulation below the floor?

Comment

Originally posted by imgroovin View Post
            also would thickness remove the need for insulation below the floor?
            Absolutely not; Insulation is your friend. I have the standard brick and it takes 2-3 hours to clear. I don't bring the fires of hell either (I did in the beginning because it was cool to see). The up side of the thicker brick is the retained heat (read more fuel to get it there and insulation to retain it) If you do a lot of baking, as mentioned earlier, you are golden.
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/o...icks-2403.html

imgroovin,

The thermal performance of your oven is something that the experts will be able to comment upon with greater assurance than I am able to muster. The oven I have is under construction and so while I could share with you what I have read, it is not the same as talking to the gurus here at FB. I am just a squirrel trying to get an acorn in these expert's world. Good luck and post a lot of pictures.

Robert

Comment

sounds good then... i was thinking of family and friends bread/roast the day after pizza night... would this work or is 4.5" over kill? i can go either way as i have both the large bricks and standard size as well.

thanks for the quick responses, this place is sweet...

Comment

Hello,

We were able to get high duty, 3000 degrees+ firebrick from a steel factory, they were unused, for our build.

Our floor is 4.5 inches concrete, 4.5" percrete and 4.5 in firebrick.

Our oven floor is made up of firebrick slabs of 4-7" wide by 18 inches long by 4.5 inches thick.

Our oven is of the barrel type. it seems to heat up in the ususal time 2-3 hrs or so. When the fire is out afte pizza, 3 days later, I can still slow cook a large turkey.

Good luck,

Enjoy your WFO addiction, your neighbors will too, after they figure out what you are doing.

Derk

Comment

Working...
                  X