Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mark's 42" in MN

Just got back from the cabin.
    We had a couple of small curing fires. Haven't been this excited about fire since I was a kid playing with matches. Can't wait till the big fire. For now we just did stone work on the enclosure. Went through 18 80lb bags of mortar. My fingers are rubbed raw from all the grouting. Kept wearing holes in my gloves and didn't notice until the lime started burning. Sure am glad that the stone work is done and we just have to intall the brick veneer on the interior surfaces.

Mark
    My build thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/m...-mn-15832.html
    My oven build pictures:
    http://markandcherylscabin.shutterfly.com/pictures/178

Comment

Just found your posts. The inside looks awesome and the outside makes me long for my parents lake house in Three Lakes, WI.
      Did you have brick/rock laying experience before this or is it learn as you go?
      In any case, it looks like you've done it for years. Congratulations.

Jeff
      Jeff
      My 42-inch build

Comment

Mark,

I have been following your posts from Crystal, MN and I will be starting my build in my back yard. You have made amazing progress due to the fact that you started in may and are ready to get some food out soon, This is doubly true due to the fact that you were only working on weekends.

I have a similar corner build issue with a back wall as confinement for the location of my oven. Other than the obvious need to have some circus contortionist characteristics to work in the back corner wall area, can you provide any insights as to how to work effectively in the cramped corner area(s). I am not a small guy but am able to maneuver quite well so ... any hints.

I will be using my version of the indispensible tool to set the bricks so I may learn that I have a good idea or change as the build progresses.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/28/m...tml#post114941

No foundation yet but will start the excavation next week.

Thanks in advance.

MrChipster - Chip
        Chip

Comment

Thanks Jeff. This cabin/house was our first go at masonry. I've helped a few people with some building projects (mostly pounding nails) but never anything like this. So we have been trying to learn as we go. The only part of the cabin build we didn't do ourselves was the slab under the cabin. Maybe thats why we been at it for seven years.

Thanks Chip. Yeah we can't wait to cook a pizza but graduations are keeping us home till the 4th of July.
          It wasn't too bad working in a corner. The first few chains one of my sons did by sitting on a bucket in the middle of the oven floor. After that he ran out of room when the opening got too small. Then I started setting everything which worked out OK because it seemed like I had to cut and recut every brick so he was getting bored waiting for me. Plus I had to get up close to the bricks to figure out how to cut the bevels. The main thing I would say is build a good set of temporary steps out front so you can quickly get up and down. (we used left over blocks). The real fun is when you get to crawl in that tiny front openining to clean and check out your handy work. I'm 6' tall 220lbs and just barely fit.

Mark
          My build thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/m...-mn-15832.html
          My oven build pictures:
          http://markandcherylscabin.shutterfly.com/pictures/178

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheLake View Post
            The main thing I would say is build a good set of temporary steps out front so you can quickly get up and down. (we used left over blocks). The real fun is when you get to crawl in that tiny front openining to clean and check out your handy work. I'm 6' tall 220lbs and just barely fit.

Mark
            Second on the steps. I put a small stepladder on one side and have a retaining wall up against the oven stand on the other... really helped in getting stuff up & down.

Mark, all I can say is that you are much more flexible and less claustrophobic than I. I'm also 6' tall and 45 pounds lighter. I got done with my dome two weeks ago, tried to get myself in to clean it up. It took me about two minutes to decide that good enough was good enough.

Anyone who wants to slide into my oven on their back to critique my bricklaying skills is more than welcome to do so.

They just shouldn't expect my help in getting them out.

Comment

Mark, You have not posted for a while. Are you making anything in the oven yet?

BTW I am up to chain 5 on my oven and have a post at "Chip's 42 in Minnesota" we should compare notes as I used the same brick supplier as you and they are realy good people.

Chip
              Chip

Comment

Working...
              X