Finally Starting My 42" Manteca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Starting My 42" Manteca

Bought the materials about 13 months ago and finally getting started. My wife got breast cancer and she's at a place now where I can get started again. I cut and placed the base last week and am starting the soldier row with full bricks, cut at an angle on the top. It was so high that I am going to build the arch before I start the next row. Very excited.
    Last edited by BarryKeith; 05-26-2011, 09:24 AM.

Re: Finally Starting My 42" Manteca

Barry,

First, let me offer you my fervent hopes for a complete recovery for your wife. I know that it is hard to do anything in your life when your side kick is in peril. Let the oven be a distraction and savor every moment of the task. There is something very Zen about this pursuit.

Good luck with this oven. Make sure you share a lot. Take pictures and post as many large ones as you can. The people on this forum will look at them and catch your mistakes or help you find different solutions to perplexing problems that are sure to arise. Do not be afraid to make mistakes, we all do and there is no place where you can come and find interested people to help you.

I will be watching as will literally hundreds of others. It is addictive.

Robert
    Before I became enlightened, I carried water. Now I am enlightened and I carry water.

Comment

Thank you. I actually finished my arch and part of my soldier row tonight with the hour of sunlight I had. I just want to get a majority of it done before the heat comes. I'm in central CA and it gets hot! I'll post some pics next time.

Comment

All the best to you and your wife. I look forward to following your progress. I hope to follow in your footsteps soon.
        Bevan

Comment

Hey Barry -

I'm right up the road in Folsom - and I'll be down in Manteca over Memorial Day weekend for my boy's baseball tournament - and the Field of Dreams in Manteca.

I'm with you in trying to get done before summer sets in. We've been a bit spoiled with the weather - especially today. We know the 100's are on their way - it's just a question of when.

Anyway - let's see some pics of the build!

Comment

Here are some pics of my start with the arch done first. Mistake? Maybe, I'll let you know.

Comment

Hey Barrykeith, nice start. You better get going if your going to beat the heat. I'm not far from you, just over in the bay area in Berkeley.
              -It seems to take a lot longer than you think. I would say don't push it, take your time, enjoy the process. Put up a canopy and bring out the beer cooler.

Mike

Comment

Put soldier row in and used up about 3/4 of a bag of the refactory mortar. Don't know if that is too much. I love going out after work and just putting on the tunes and working for a couple of hours. Best project I've ever done that allows my own pace.
                Mike D went to school in Berkeley, have a slice of Zachery's pizza for me.
                Cheesesteak, I would love to have you come by but we'll be out of town that weekend. Big League Dreams is laaaagit. We play old man softball out there and it is way cool.

Comment

Bring on the pics. We want to see them. Yes it does seem like the first few rows take up a lot of mortar. It gets better as you go up.

-I love Zack's but it's a totally different pizza than what we will be doing in the oven.

Mike

Comment

I love Zach's pizza but I can only eat one or two peices. Plus it would take longer than 2 minutes to cook one in the oven.

Comment

Yes that is a big problem (high heat). You could try to do one the next day when the oven has cooled down, with all the ashes out and with a door. There is a thread about this somewhere. Anyway keep up the work, find a good rhythm, and don't stop if you can. You would be surprised what a good momentum will do.

Mike

Comment

Just finished the first row and that was much easier than I thought. The angle cut on the top of the soldier row bricks set it up perfectly. Used very little mortar, but still have to fill in gaps. I think the next row I will cut the bricks to get a better fit.

Comment

If you notice on the fourth of the five pictures above, I am huggin one side pretty tight. I will wrap blanket, but it will not allow much room for the metal framing.

Comment

Hey Barry,

Are you cleaning the inside of the bricks? That mortar is hard to get off once it sets.

Mike

Comment

On the inside of the dome, I use a brick to clean the mortar off.
                              I got almost another row done.

Comment

Working...
                              X