Finally Starting My 42" Manteca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Finally Starting My 42" Manteca

I used the wedges I cut from the top of my soldier row as my shims. Works real well, I just snap off the excess when mortar sets. I am using a brick to smooth out my floor and clean off the mortar.

Comment

Originally posted by BarryKeith View Post
      I used the wedges I cut from the top of my soldier row as my shims. Works real well, I just snap off the excess when mortar sets. I am using a brick to smooth out my floor and clean off the mortar.
      Looking good! I like the used wedge idea, do you butter the brick and then place on top of the wedge or do you place the brick first and squeeze the wedge in after?
      Great Job! You are moving right along!
      John
      Build Thread:http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/i...ome-15521.html
      Photos: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brick-...67884/pic/list
      Oven Blog: http://johns-brickoven.blogspot.com/...ven-folly.html

Comment

So you snap off the wide end of the wedge and leave the rest imbedded in the oven? sounds efficient.

Comment

I butter the bricks first and once the mortar set, they snap right off.
          How clean does the inside need to be? I can get most of the mortar off by sanding it with another brick, but not perfect.

Comment

The inside needs to be as clean as you want it to be. Most people wipe up the excess mortar to have a clean look. I don't know what will happen with a random amount of mortar on the inside. It might just fall off with all the heat and clean itself?
            - Anyone else know what it might do?

Mike

Comment

It has rained for the last four days, keeping me from my build. I would really like to get it done before the heat comes. Also I don't want the rain to pop my cherries. Last year it rained about two weeks later than this and we could only save a few cherries from our two trees.

Comment

Got some nasty cuts out of the way. I hope to finish the fifth row tomorrow.

Comment

Hey Berry, you should clean up the inside of the dome as you go along (if you haven't already). It's a lot easier when you can get into the oven.
                  -Lookin good

Mike

Comment

That is my project for today. That is exactly what I was thinking yesterday, my fat butt is going to have a hard time getting to it if I don't do it now.

Comment

I have been doing a row, waiting a bit to let everything settle a bit then clean it up. I didn't want the mortar to harden up and have to do any chipping or grinding in the end. I am not that big a person, but I don't want to be stuck inside an oven scraping away.

Mike

Comment

Just finished row 6 and got about 1/3 of row 7. Went to fourth bricks. Post pics tomorrow

Comment

I lied about the pics. I'm a high school math teacher and last week was finals and it took more than I thought.
                          I had all that extra mortar, no more. The secret is a ROTOZIP with the sanding attachment. Bought it 6 years ago and it is one of the best tools I've ever bought.

Comment

Barry,

Looking good.

Before you get those top courses, while you can still get to everything in the oven without having to go through the arch, squeeze mortar into all those little gaps, then wipe with a damp sponge. Easy to do now... especially when you finish a course and have a little mortar left over...

Keep up the good work and glad your wife is doing okay. Give us an update on her as well.

Peace,

CB
                            CB

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...-us-13256.html

Comment

Thank you. I just finished the 8th course and filled the gaps with mortar. Not all of them, just the bigger gaps.

Comment

Got to the keystone!!! I am going to use full bricks to fill the hole. Put two in since pictures were taken, I'll post those tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X