Finally Starting My 42" Manteca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Finally Starting My 42" Manteca

That's my beautiful wife in the dome, the pic is through the hole. She is earning her pizza. She'll have to go back in to get more gaps.

Comment

HOLY >>>>!!!! You started your dome last month and you already have the keystone in? And you have only been working on it after work?!!

It took me soo much longer to build my dome last year! I am Jealous!

We have been getting some rain lately, but as soon as it stops get the small fires going and start cooking chicken, beef and anything else in it!!

WOW!

Eric.
      Thanks, Eric

My 42" dome build pics in Napa

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

Had to pick cherries today before the rain came, but I finished part of the "plug" in the dark last night.

Comment

Nice, now get those last couple of pieces in, do a little back buttering and let her dry for a week. We are supposed to have some decent weather this next week and start the small fires next weekend.

While putting mine through the slightly hotter fire after each other drying process is when I decided to cook my first meal in the oven. I figured that while the oven was drying out at 300 degrees I could shove a couple of chickens in there, knock back a few while watching them cook and it worked great!!!

Just make sure you dont get too antsy with the drying fires, it is easy to get these things up to pretty high temps quickly.

I still cant beleive how fast you got that dome completed. (don't let my wife know that is possible, she will want to start actually finishing some of my projects!!

Eric.
          Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

Finished!!! I will start my shell in about a week. My wife is having her surgury for her reconstruction after the double matsectomy.

Comment

Originally posted by BarryKeith View Post
              Finished!!! I will start my shell in about a week...
              Uh?! I still cannot believe how much you are able to get done in so little a time! That is just incredible!

Were you somehow working in the rain?

This weather that we are now having should be perfect for starting your drying process. Looks great.

Good luck with the dome and everything else.

Eric.
              Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

Thanks. I am on summer break so I was able to work yesterday and part of today.
                I just saw a "Best things I ever ate" on the Food network and Bobby Flay picked a place in Napa that made Mongolian Pork Chops.

Comment

Got back into the swing of things yesterday. My wife was getting annoyed with me and told me to go outside and work so she could sleep. Yesterday I got the materials and got up to pics 1 & 2. I ended today with pics 3-5. Off to the taco trucks to get my wife her favorite mexican food. What a cheap date and a wonderful wife.

Comment

Almost done. I've been working on the electrical and I wanted a light to pull down and see inside the oven. I also put a light inside my smoker. I'll post pics tomorrow. All I have left is the vermiculite inside my shell and the roof. Kihm gets to do the facia rock on the outside.

Comment

This is one of those pictures where you try to see the differences.
                      Answer: the light on the left pulls out and retracts back up. My brother said it would be useful to see the bread cooking inside.

Comment

Sweet...and the movable light...brilliant! Happy father's Day bro.

Comment

And I do believe the "fastest build" award!!

Are you cooking in it yet?
                          Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

I am not cooking yet. I finished curing it, but I am going with my baby to Reno for our anniversary. I put a roof on it today, but its hard to see in the dark. Sorry

Comment

Spray painted the outside and then my wife is going to glue rocks to the outside.

Comment

Looking good!

I can't tell from your images if your stove pipe is the insulated type. If it isn't you probably don't want those asphalt shingles touching it ; if it is, disregard .

Some stove pipe flashing might be helpful too; very easy to install with shingles.

gene

Comment

Working...
                                X