Anchor Plate Sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anchor Plate Sealant

I have a Duratech anchor plate for an eight inch vent pipe that I need to attach to my oven. The instructions note that I need to use a "high temperature sealant (1000 degrees)" but I am having a hard time finding what I should use.
    Has anyone used a sealant for this type of installation and if so what is the name of it?

Re: Anchor Plate Sealant

Hi Brian,

How are you? You can you the mortar to seal it.

Heidi

Comment

Hi Heidi,
      I'm well thank you. I will use the Forno Bravo mortar that I have to seal it with. Thanks for the tip.
      Have a great day,
      Brian

Comment

If you are using Tapcon screws or the equivalent to secure the plate to the bricks, take special care to follow the instructions. I failed to do this and managed to crack several of the bricks that I was trying to fasten the plate to. The step that I failed to follow was to properly blow out the dust from the drilled holes. Apparently, the dust was enough to cause the expansion that cracked the bricks.

Comment

Thanks tusr18a,

I was planning on using Tapcon screws and I have never used them before. I most likely would of done the same thing.
          Brian

Comment

Don't over tighten them or you may have a couple of problems (the heads will snap off or the brick will split, and you force out any sealant (mortar) that you have put in. I thought of them more as hold down pins and not anchoring screws. I let them about 1/8" from being drawn tight - leaving 1/8" mortar under the plate to seal it.

RT

Comment

Thanks RT

I wonder if there is hardware to use that will not snap or break bricks when applying or is it that all anchoring systems need care when installing.

Comment

Like most tasks, there is skill involved. Using Tapcon screws properly simply takes experience. One thought would be to test your skills on a brick that has not bee mortared into the oven. This will allow you to make mistakes without having to redo any completed brick work. I wish that I had done that.

Comment

Looks like I will be testing out a few bricks to get it right.

Thanks Tusr18a

Comment

I ended up finding a product that worked well for me. It went on easy and set up during the curing process. I used DAP HIGH HEAT MORTAR. It can withstand temperatures up to 2000 degrees F.

The Tapcon screws went in without a problem. I ended up buying the tools recommended to install them.

Comment

Working...
                    X