X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike D
    replied
    Re: gt40's Pompeii Oven 42" build log

That's a big oven. How many people are you planing on feeding?

Mike

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by gt40 View Post
    and try for a lower dome height of 18".
    Dont forget to lower the door height too then.

Leave a comment:

• gt40
    replied

Update:

Picked up 72 soft firebricks + 1" thick ceramic fiberboard for the insulation under the dome. Basically we will have 2.5" soft fire brick with 1" ceramic fiber board i.e. 3.5" total insulation under the cooking floor bricks. I got a great price on the bricks and spent around 300 total.

In reading many posts on Forno Bravo, I realized we might as well go big. After measuring the foundation, we are going to make it a full 48" /1219mm cooking surface and try for a lower dome height of 18"/457mm.

Hope to start the dome this weekend. I am probably crazy for trying for the lower dome but I figure it will heat faster for pizza in the larger size.
    Last edited by gt40; 05-19-2011, 01:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

GT40,

Your stand rocks. Lotsa room and bomber stability.

Nice adjustment on the support slab height. Even though the FB plans were intentionally simplified for the novice (like me) builder, looks like you're the type to tweak your design and make it yours.

Can't wait to see your build.

John

Leave a comment:

• gt40
    replied

Originally posted by BriggsARNP View Post
    How tall is that thing? it might just be the photo but it looks like the stand is almost taller than people around it.
    It's not that high but it is higher for 2 reasons. First, i made it 3" higher than the Pompeii plans. They show a 32" height at the top of the concrete upper foundation. I decided to go a hair higher so I made the frame 3" higher than the cinder blocks would normally be.

Second, I am building the oven off a raised deck so I had to compensate for the deck height of 12". Together, the oven height is 15" higher than a normal ground level build. If you are on the deck where the oven opening will be, it will only be 3" higher than normal.

With the metal frame covered with hardy board, It should be a really large amount of storage

Leave a comment:

• BriggsARNP
    replied

How tall is that thing? it might just be the photo but it looks like the stand is almost taller than people around it.

Leave a comment:

• gt40
    replied

Originally posted by Cheesesteak View Post
    Does that crack follow the seam you see running underneath the frame? What is supporting the concrete (between metal frame and concrete)?

Tell me about the weird California weather. We were getting into summer a couple of weeks ago - high was 53 yesterday and rain/thunder/lightning. More rain today - the opening day of the Amgen Tour of California (bike race) was cancelled yesterday and today they moved the start out of the Tahoe basin because of snow . . .
    The crack is not following the seam but is 70 degrees perpendicular. I have a rebar grid in the concrete with some remesh so steel is reinforcing it throughout inside the mix. I was going to weld a cross bar but my contractor said the frame was already overbuilt. Here is the pic i put up earlier that shows the support underneath:

Thanks everyone for the feedback

Leave a comment:

• Mike D
    replied

Yea cheesesteake, this weather is not normal. It is slowing me down, but what can I do.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Cheesesteak
    replied

Does that crack follow the seam you see running underneath the frame? What is supporting the concrete (between metal frame and concrete)?

Tell me about the weird California weather. We were getting into summer a couple of weeks ago - high was 53 yesterday and rain/thunder/lightning. More rain today - the opening day of the Amgen Tour of California (bike race) was cancelled yesterday and today they moved the start out of the Tahoe basin because of snow . . .

Leave a comment:

• Mike D
    replied

You have to keep it wet for a week, covered. Let it cure slowly.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• gt40
    replied

I got home and the slab hardened and looks great except I found there was a spider crack on the top:

It was crazy california weather with hot sun, wind, clouds and a sudden 20 degree drop in temps after we poured. I My contractor says it won't effect things structurally with all the rebar we put in and no one will see it either although I could see he was tweaked about it.

One last shot:

Last edited by gt40; 05-16-2011, 05:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gt40
    replied

Update:

We got the metal frame bolted to the foundation and the upper slab poured. Here a few more pics:

stand supports:

upper slab:

overview shot:

Thanks for looking

Leave a comment:

• gt40
    replied

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    Which way is the wood storage opening and which way is the ovens front. I would guess that the oven opening is on the deck side and it looks like the wood storage opening is on the back?

Mike
    The side facing the deck may have a smaller arched storage section cut out of hardy board with a frame behind it for storing a small amount of wood for fire tending but you are right- the open end is where there is no bottom cross member opposite the deck. I will make an arch and some doors on that.

Leave a comment:

• Mike D
    replied

Which way is the wood storage opening and which way is the ovens front. I would guess that the oven opening is on the deck side and it looks like the wood storage opening is on the back?

Mike

Leave a comment:

• gt40
    replied

Thanks everyone for the comments. I welded diagonals to the top and we tried rolling the whole thing over a few times and it doesn't flex at all. the whole thing is 3/16" thick square tube and it is over 200 lbs of steel. I welded a similar frame for a 2000lb lathe and it hasn't fallen after a year, so it should be okay.

As far as finishing, I am going to cover it with cement board and stone veneer which will add mass and some strength. Any suggestions on stone veneer would be appreciated.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X