Nice looking build, gt40

Leave a comment:

• gt40
    replied
    Re: gt40's Pompeii Oven 42" build log

Originally posted by ggoose View Post
    Here is the stuff I used...

gene
    I used exactly the same stuff. Went right on the hardiboard. It is cheap and holds well.

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

Here is the stuff I used...

gene

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

It comes modified (with layex polymers) as a dry mix to which you just add water, or you can purchase unmodified and add the liquid latex polymer to it in lieu of water. I find the modified easier to use. Home Depot sells it for around $13/bag.

Leave a comment:

• BriggsARNP
    replied

Is it called modified thinset, or do you do the modifications yourself?

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

ja1724, I also live in a cold climate and used modified thinset to attach my cultured stone to hardie backer, as per Tscarborough. It went on easily and is rock solid. Make sure you use 'modified' thinset; it will ususally say for interior or exterior use.

gene

Leave a comment:

• ja1724
    replied

GT,

That's an amazing outdoor kitchen. Very nicely done. What adhesive did you use to bond your veneer stones to the backer board?

Does anybody know the best adhesive/mortar to use in cold climates for veneer stone ie. here it CT? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• benguilford
    replied

Great work, you should be really proud of your project! I just finished my first oven in a house that I am about to sell, so I will be pinching some of your ideas there (the stone benchtops in particular).

Leave a comment:

• gt40
    replied

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
    That's downright sexy! The level of craftsmanship and detail is inspiring, to say the least. You gotta be proud of a job very well done.

John
    Thank you for your kind words. It turned out to be much bigger project than I thought but considering I started in April of this year and finished the oven working evenings and weekends, I am really really happy. I am also extrordinarily thankful for all the advice and information on this site. I absolutely would never of been able to accomplish this dream if it wasn't for Forno Bravo.

Leave a comment:

• GianniFocaccia
    replied

That's downright sexy! The level of craftsmanship and detail is inspiring, to say the least. You gotta be proud of a job very well done.

John

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Great Job! I love the landing going into meet the hearth! Everything is spectacular! Wow!

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Very nice indeed.

Leave a comment:

• gt40
    replied

Finally done except for cleanup and the corner by the light:

Leave a comment:

• benguilford
    replied

gt40, you have done yourself proud. What an amazing job, I especially like the bench tops, the whole job looks so professional!

As for your damper door - if you made an insulated version of what you're showing there, with a slide that allows you to adjust the amount of air being drawn into the oven (instead of just a gap) then you would be killing multiple birds with the one glorious stone! - Trapping heat in the oven during your warmup phase, preventing soot from staining the decorative arch and controlling the heat of your fire. Sounds like a plan to me, where do I sign up.

Leave a comment:

• gt40
    replied

Update:

When I was working on the recirculating chimney design, the issue was raised that you would need to make a damper or something to cut off air flow beyond putting a door on the front. I made a temp door out aluminum tread plate - uninsulated. We had party last night and I laid the tread plate on the front with a couple of bricks at the end of the evening. This morning, at 9am it is reading:

Oven is firing up and hitting 800 degrees in an hour at this point and holds the heat so all that insulation is definitely the way to go.

Temp door shot:

A few more pics of the home stretch putting up the vineer:

I can't wait to finish this!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X