Have to move the oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have to move the oven

Due to HOA issues, I have to move the oven. Now, I did submit a package prior to building. My guidlines say if I don't hear back in 60 days, I'm good to go, and our community is pretty lax about that. Anyways, a neighbor complained about it and has continued to complain loudly, so the end result is I have to move the oven.

My goal is to move the entire structure... slab foundation and all. I spoke with a crane company, and they will drive an 18 ton crane back there and estimate it will take three hours, for a total cost of $302.

The challenge I now face is how to get enough support under the foundation to actually move the oven. Updates to follow... and if you have thoughts I would love to hear them! The next 30 days are going to be fun.

Re: Have to move the oven

HOA's suck!!! Tell us more about the size and thickness of your slab foundation and if you remember if any steel went in.

I would excavate under the slab to a point that would allow you to place a steel beam or a RR cross tie directly under the oven's foundation on two sides.

Brace the two ties together to keep them locked together during the lift this will insure no slipping and keep the ties in place.

Do a four point lift up to to one central point above the oven, so four straps of equal length to an adequate height above the oven. You don't want the central point too close to the top of the oven when lifting.

I would also run a strap around the oven's base once the 4 straps are in place just to keep everything snug.

How far do you need to move the oven?

Comment

Re: Have to move the oven

I'm thinking a lawyer would be cheaper and that way you'd keep the oven

The Texas State Legislature has recently done some 'reigning in' of HOAs. This could go in your favor.

Originally posted by phippsj View Post
      Due to HOA issues, I have to move the oven. Now, I did submit a package prior to building. My guidlines say if I don't hear back in 60 days, I'm good to go, and our community is pretty lax about that. Anyways, a neighbor complained about it and has continued to complain loudly, so the end result is I have to move the oven.

My goal is to move the entire structure... slab foundation and all. I spoke with a crane company, and they will drive an 18 ton crane back there and estimate it will take three hours, for a total cost of $302.

The challenge I now face is how to get enough support under the foundation to actually move the oven. Updates to follow... and if you have thoughts I would love to hear them! The next 30 days are going to be fun.
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Working...
      X