No announcement yet.

How does the dome meet the door?? .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does the dome meet the door?? .....

HI all - making quite a bit of progress here, but may need someone else's wisdom to proceed further!! I have reached the 5th ring of the dome fairly easily. I am using just one vane to help me get the correct angle and then not using any shims but simply putting the correct amount of mortar as I go along. It seems to be working so far!! I am building a 42" diameter dome and am aiming for it to be 21" high. The door is 20" across and can now be closed off at 12.5".

I have opted to use the angle iron approach as per many other ovens built however I cannot grasp exactly how the dome bricks (going round and pointing down at quite a steep angle) will now marry the bricks above the door??? How should these now rest on the angle iron? I cannot seem to find details of this process anywhere so any help will be appreciated.

I will start a new thread with photos to show my progress to date if I manage to work out how to upload small pics. I aim to get the whole dome done in the next couple of days if at all possible.

thanks
    John

Re: How does the dome meet the door?? .....

Go to this link ? Robert used the iron approach and he has a rough sketch showing how it goes together. There may be more detail on his site as he did a pretty good job of documenting his progress.

Les...

Pompeii Oven Progress
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

(M) Here is a shot of my angle and flat iron placement but, ....

(M) NOTE: !!! The brick lying against the angle iron is shot in the wrong plane!

(M) It needs to show the 4 1/2" side resting against the iron rather than how I mistakenly set it up.

Ciao,

Marcel
      "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
      but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

(M) P.S. If I had it to do over I would have used only 4 bricks on each side of the oven (instead of 5) with 1/2" of mortar between each "sleeping" brick. That would have given me the correct height and I would not have later needed to buttress those "sleeping" soldier bricks.

Ciao,

Marcel
        "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
        but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

thanks les / marcel. That's been very helpful - I've mortared the bricks in place with the 'tent' angle iron and I'm now hoping for the best!! I propped up the bricks from within the dome but am assuming that once they have anopther ring on top of them the forces (both sideways and downwards) should keep them in place???

Marcel - your flat bar seems to be having a pretty easy time not doing much for now. Will this then be used to span the chimney area with another set of bricks laid across?

John

Comment

Working...
          X