tight spaces from brick to granite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tight spaces from brick to granite

I have a few areas that are bit tighter than I would like for insulating between the outside of the cook floor and the ledge on the stand. The photo attached shows the gap that has been left to tuck in the 3 inch of blanket insulation. At the back edge the space becomes narrower like one inch. So I have a couple of questions regarding the insulation here as I dont know how much heat will transfer into the granite ledge.

I can put one inch of the blanket down in to the small gaps or maybe squeeze two one in layers in there for a nice fit so no air spaces as the ledge is cut a bit wiggly piggly so spaces are not real even. Also I could use my FB hard insulating board that is 2 inches thick and trim little blocks to one inch thick and shove them in there. So I have a couple of questions please.

1. If I use just the one inch blanket down the small gaps will there be too much heat transfer to the ledge work?

2. Is it better to go with 2 one inch soft blanket thicknesses and sueeze it in?

3. How about the hard board.....not sure if its better insulating value but it will be tricky to get a good fit and there is bound to be air spaces which may not be the best?

Thanks for this........I will be installing the insulation in a few days I reckon.
    Step by Step of Oven #2 Build... I have built this one in partnership with a friend for a customer that took a liking to my first oven https://picasaweb.google.com/waynebe...42PompeiiOven#

Re: tight spaces from brick to granite

Hi Wayne,

I vote you stuff as much blanket in the cracks as you can. It'll form fit when it expands and give you much better insulation than small pieces of board. The blanket is pretty amazing stuff. Because of the small gap, you'll get some heat transfer but there's probably not much more you can do.

Looks like a great project!
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I had a really narrow space between the back of my dome, and the fireplace flue. I just stuffed it with blanket and called it a job. I doesn't seem to have compromised performance: heat rises, and I have lots of insulation on top.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks guys this is a big relief. Nice to know from all of your experience.
        Step by Step of Oven #2 Build... I have built this one in partnership with a friend for a customer that took a liking to my first oven https://picasaweb.google.com/waynebe...42PompeiiOven#

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
          heat rises, and I have lots of insulation on top.
          Excellent point. I added extra inches on top for this reason. If the base and top are well insulated, the oven should work great!
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
          Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Working...
          X