Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building the stand to 32" high out of blocks issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building the stand to 32" high out of blocks issue?

32" high stand is what the Pompeii oven calls for but 4 blocks high measures only 30" (4 x 7.5"). I am not using cement in-between each layer just filling in the holes with cement and re-bar. The photos in the instructions show one coarse with half high blocks but the ones at the home stores have the holes going thru them in the opposite orientation needed???? How can you use these and get the cement and re-bar through without doing a bunch of cutting??? Do they make another type of block???

Re: Building the stand to 32" high out of blocks issue?

What is the final hearth height you are aiming for ?

This is an important measurement and will vary from individual to individual. Once you have that you can work backward to get your wall height.

Comment

You will get several ideas how to manage what you want by looking at the the photo gallery.

The hearth is usually poured on top of the stand, adding several inches to the height. For us, higher was better
      Last edited by Lburou; 07-03-2011, 07:03 AM.
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

I AM HOPING FOR A HEARTH HEIGHT OF 40-42" I guess I can go with 4" of structural concrete & 4" of vermiculite and that would give me a hearth height of 41".

Comment

"I guess I can go with 4" of structural concrete & 4" of vermiculite and that would give me a hearth height of 41"."

Plus the 2 1/2 inch hearth bricks will bring it up to about 44 inches. I would tend to err on the high side. Most people (who have expressed an opinion on this) after their build have wished they had built it a bit higher.
          Last edited by Neil2; 07-07-2011, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Do they make another type of block?
            Yes, they make a solid 4" block for just this purpose. If the big box stores don't carry them, check with a local brickyard.

As a side note, there are fewer and fewer bargains at the big stores. It always pays to double check with the local dealers, if there are any left in your area.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
            X