Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to cut bricks smaller

Hello all,

I am on the 4th chain of my 32" Pompeii Oven. I am tapering and beveling the bricks, but I was wondering is there is a general rule of thumb as when to start cutting the bricks smaller as you get to the top of the dome?

Thanks for the input.

Chris

Re: When to cut bricks smaller

none that I am aware of. Your biggest concern should be the vertical bond. You want to keep those joints as close to the center of the bricks in the previous course as possible.
    I think by the 3rd or 4th course I was already adjusting the width of several bricks per course. Of course, every build is different - brick sizes vary, oven dimensions, and how tight you make each fit, all will affect when you begin adjusting the width of each brick.

RT

Comment

Re: When to cut bricks smaller

Hi Chris,

I just completed my third course on my 32" pompeii and will start cutting the bricks for the fourth tomorrow. This (the fourth course) is the first course that will require the compound cut for me, but it looks as though the half brick size will still work. I plan on reducing the block size once the little triangle that forms between the brick courses becomes wider than the rest of the mortar joints. Nothing more than a personal choice, as I want to keep the joint size fairly consistent.

gene

Comment

Working...
      X