Curing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curing question

I just finished my dome today, I am very excited. I am wondering about the workflow from this point. I know it has to cure for a week, but what after that? Do I install the insulation then do the curing fires? Should it be cured without the insulation? Or should I build the entire enclosure? Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Re: Curing question

Originally posted by cholme View Post
    I just finished my dome today, I am very excited. I am wondering about the workflow from this point. I know it has to cure for a week, but what after that? Do I install the insulation then do the curing fires? Should it be cured without the insulation? Or should I build the entire enclosure? Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
    I would wait a week and cure without the blanket. You want the oven to dry out - and curing fires help drive out the moisture. IMO, the blanket works to keep the heat in - and doesn't allow to much airflow around the outside of the dome. I think having it on while you have curing fires would slow down the process. I cured my oven without the blanket and you could feel / smell the moisture being driven out of the dome.

Comment

A big part of the answer to that question depends on the type of insulation you are going to use, if you are using vermiculite concrete, that will have as much or more water in it than the oven it's self. If you are insulating with refractory blanket, you have more options.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Chris,

I placed a quartz work light in the oven and kept it running for several days. The heat of the light moved air through the oven. Watch the temps, they should climb as the oven drys and the bricks absorb heat. I think I remember the light brought the temps up to 140 - 150F. I partially bricked up the entry to help contain the heat but continue to allow a certain amount of air circulation. I believe that the constant air flow and low heat will go a long way to dry the oven. The insulation will slow the drying of the outside of your oven but I don't know that it will make much of a difference in your curing cycle, but as Dmun pointed out vermiculite concrete is full of water. If I recall correctly, I insulated when I pulled the work light and started curing fires.

Enjoy and go slow through the curing cycle, thermal shock is you greatest concerns at this point. Take your time getting the oven dry, slower curing is better.

Chris
        Last edited by SCChris; 07-11-2011, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I am going to use the blanket for insulation. So, I will let it cure for 1 week (making sure to keep it damp in our 100 deg weather), then start my series of curing fires, then do the blanket and enclosure.

Luckily I will be out of town the week after the initial cure so I will actually have 1 week of damp curing and then a week of extra curing time before I start the fires.

Thanks for all the help... as usual.

Chris

Comment

Chris,
            When you go out of town, put a work light in the oven, even a 100W bulb, and forget about it till you get home. The light will keep the air moving and move you toward your first fires.

Chris

Comment

Good idea, I wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X