Chimney height and diameter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimney height and diameter

I know I have seen the answers to these questions somewhere, but I have been searching the forums for the last 45min and can't find them. My oven is 32" in diameter with a 16" dome height. The opening is 15" wide by 10" high.

I will use some sort of metal chimney, but I am wondering what dimensions I need... inside diameter and height.

As usual, I appreciate all the input.

Chris

Re: Chimney height and diameter

I'd be using at least a 6" diam. stainless steel flue for an oven that size. One length should be sufficient, they usually come in lengths of around 900 mm. The stainless is more expensive, but you won't have to be replacing it in a couple of years time, like you would if you use galvanized steel.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Galvanized is also bad around food. Someone with more knowledge on the matter can extrapolate but basically the zinc contaminates the food?

Comment

I think the flue is far enough away from the food to be a problem. It is the accelerated corrosion that's the main one. Don't use anything galvanized, like door bolts in the oven chamber though.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

So 36" for the height is the right?

I would not use galvanized for this application. The galvanization melts at around 900deg making it not a great material for an oven that gets this hot. As to the fumes, when the zinc vapor mixes with oxygen it creates zinc oxide. Zinc oxide will make you feel like you have the flu if you inhale too much of it, but it is non-toxic and a non carcinogenic... so in case someone used galvanized, you don't need to tear apart your oven.

Comment

Working...
          X