35 inch Pompeii Oven Build Saga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 35 inch Pompeii Oven Build Saga

Can't believe it has been so long since I posted progress. Had a big break because of a carpal tunnel operation and also have another reno project on the go.

Finished the firebrick outer arch and the chimney transition. Pretty happy with how the transition worked out. Did some niffy cutting to create interlocking - the drop saw with diamond blade is the best.

Now working when I get a spare time here and there on completing the dome - 4 rows to go. Now it is getting cooler, it gives you more time to work with the calcium aluminate mortar.

Brett

Comment

Some more pictures of my progress. Finished row 5.

Decided my indispensible tool was getting a bit hard to keep all bricks in the row symmetric and all at the right angle... I don't think I made the tool pivot as good as it needs to be.

I had originally planned to use a styrofoam support at the end anyway but thought I may have been able to get away without it. Anyway cleaned up inside and setup a shelf to support the styrofoam. Night before I cut the styrofoam and made an eight point template. Was pretty happy the way it fitted.

Starting now on row 6... feels like I am getting close now.

Brett

Comment

Brett, nice work and some detailed photos
        It's helping me decide if I should do the half round arch or the straight side. Yours look like you will get a good fit with a door.
        Cheers
        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Another row down - row 6 complete with one brick in place for row 7. Now it is getting interesting with the angle of the bricks !

I actually had a second brick layered up and must have knocked it when I covered up at the end of the day. Next morning it had moved and I had to knock the mortar off and will have to redo. Quite amazing, how hard the aluminate mortar gets in <12 hours.

Really feeling a lot closer to now.

Hopefully more pics soon.

Brett

Comment

Looks good!

Think it might be time to start cutting the bricks in thirds to get them fit in the way you need to?
            My build progress
            My WFO Journal on Facebook
            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

A model build so far Brett!
              Lee B.
              DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Thanks for the positive feedback guys... I tend to agree with Lee, if I were to do another oven I would not be cutting every brick to minimize gaps. I am sure it is not worth the effort - but I am not changing now that I have got this far !

I have been aiming to have have minimum gaps and good coverage on each new row with the brick joins on the previous row - stretcher bond I think it is called
                _|_|
                |_|_|

As I get closer to the center, I seem to be naturally having a larger number of smaller width bricks. Just under half will be a reduced width to evenly cover the joins in the previous row.

I am using a bit of a obscure order of laying bricks now. I lay full width bricks first (guessing the side angles cuts) which means I end up with bricks in random places around the circle. Then I trace a cardboard template of gaps and transfer to the bricks, then cut with a drop saw. It may seem tedious but it actually quite quick and produces a good fit without much reworking.

Have a few busy weekends, so will be a few weeks before I get back to it but I am chaffing at the bit now.

In anticipation I have been practicing in my house oven with a pizza stone - my latest try was sourdough bread. I just got some bannetons this week to try out. Will have to do some more pizza practice soon.

Brett
                Last edited by Mistertoy; 06-08-2012, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Rows 7 and 8 now complete. Running out of materials.. need some more firebricks and I think that I need a new dropsaw blade. It is good that the brickworks is just up the road.

I have a cheap wet and dry vacuum cleaner to catch as much dust as I can from the drop saw - even so my wife is getting sick of the dust. I cannot believe how much firebrick dust I have collected! I am using the firebrick dust to replace some of the fireclay (running low on that as well) in my mortar mix. You can notice that the mortar is not as sticky when some of the fireclay is replaced with the dust.

The row 8 is not a nice circle as I had hoped. I think that I really should have reduced the width of the brick for row 8. I am hoping to fix when I do row 9 - I am making a template so I will cut the bricks narrower and at right height to make a nice circle for final plug.

Have a busy few weeks, so the oven will have to wait.

Brett

Comment

I think you are doing fine, have never seen anyone make templates for each brick before.
                    Lee B.
                    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

It's looking great!
                      More pictures of the inside would help use to see how big (or small) the gap is between each course.
                      I never went to 1/3 cut bricks with my 42" oven.

Jeff
                      Jeff
                      My 42-inch build

Comment

Couple more photos this weekend after I got back to it. Only final "plug" to go and I will finish that pretty quickly tomorrow.

Cleared out the dome and slid inside the oven to have a look and it was a tight squeeze.

Will be able to get some photos of inside the dome soon.

Brett

Comment

Here is a series of photos in this post and the next to celebrate finally finishing the dome !

Brett

Comment

Inside the oven - just needs a final clean and maybe a little grouting.

Brett

Comment

Wowzers!!!

That must have been a labour of love! Those cuts!!
                              Top of the class...well done!

Dust anybody?

Comment

Impressive tight cuts, really like the plug and how intricate the last courses are. How in the world did you figure the various angle?
                                Russell
                                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                                X