• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mrchipster
    replied
    Re: Chip's 42 in Minnesota

Originally posted by Dino69 View Post
    Chip,

That is looking great. I really like the layout and how it is enclosed.

Looks awesome

David
    Thanks David, the prep table close by really seems to work out well even though it is still just rough concrete. It will really be nice when I can prepare pizza dough on it.

I have been using pizza sceens for the last few parties we have had and they have been working out well. I put the pies onto the screen and move them to the brick after the first turn. About 30 seconds in the oven. The guests really like building their own pizza and this allows them as much time as they need to complete it without the risk of sticking to the peel.

Hot fire photos from last night.

Chip
    Last edited by mrchipster; 03-25-2012, 05:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dino69
    replied

Chip,

That is looking great. I really like the layout and how it is enclosed.

Looks awesome.

David

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

We have been having some beautiful weather here 30 degrees above normal. Today it was 70F.

So I have stepped up my work as if it was spring. I was able to get the Soffit and facia installed over the last few days and finalized my lighting. I have still not removed my secondary roof that protects the ridge and flue penetration but if we get a dry spell I will be taking it off soon, I hate having that vertical post in the way.

My wine cubby is doing extremely well and I have not broken or spilled a glass yet....

The counter tops and entry details are still in the works but I realy likee the look of the metal soffits and the lighting seems to work well. The goose neck lamp easily swings into action or out of the way as needed.

The storage areas really need some nice decorative doors but I am really having fun cooking so that gets in the way of working on the finish stuff.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• Pompeii Nate
    replied

Chip and John,

thanks for the information. I will keep it in mind.

Nate

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

I have been cooking primarily items that do not require that I stand out by the oven for extended periods. I have taken several steps to preserve heat in the oven and feel that not much heat exits my oven, but time will tell when summer comes.

I did do a good job melting the entire lense off the front of a flashlight on new years eve. I left it in the outer arch so I believe some heat does escape but anything below my chest is still cold.

Other than radiant heat nothing much comes out the arch. Any convective heat goes directly up the chimney as is verified by holding my hand in the arch. Any location from the floor of the arch to about the middle is just warm and above that is nuclear hot.

I have only been cooking pizza on warm days. Above 30 degrees

Chip
    Last edited by mrchipster; 02-12-2012, 07:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Hi Nate,
    Even though I live in relatively warm Conn. this past fall we had some cold pizza parties and everyone was in front of the oven to "see how it cooked" Although they stood there after all pizzas were finished.
    There is a good amount of heat that comes out of the oven without the door on for sure. I do not have a super wide opening, but the heat is more than enough to take the chill off.
    The wide opening serves to keep plates of food warm, and someplace to work around.
    Hope this helps
    John

Leave a comment:

• Pompeii Nate
    replied

Hey Chip,

This is a pretty random question but now that you have gone through/are in the middle of winter season, have you noticed that your oven gives off some heat through the exterior arch to keep you warm while cooking in the cold temps? I am in Idaho and our winters are harsh as well (maybe not as bad as yours though) and if I am going to be standing in front of an oven I want to make sure I am warm. I have read comments on here about making the vent arch wider on the exterior end to make for more heat coming out. What do you think of this idea? Just curious

Nate

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

Hi Chip, no I have not started an oven yet but I am starting to try to get a plan together. I have been stalling for a little bit now because we have been thinking of moving. For now when it is nice out I use my gas grill and a pizza stone. That works pretty good, but I wish it got a little bit hotter.

I had saw that you were in Crystal, I am in Maple Grove just on the north side of Osseo so pretty near by.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
    Wow chip that egg bake looks amazing. I am going to have to try that out sometime.

Randy
    Very tasty, Say have you started or finished an oven yet? You are very close, I am in Crystal.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

Wow chip that egg bake looks amazing. I am going to have to try that out sometime.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

I like balloon bread..... we do it often when the oven is hot.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Had some left over Pizza dough from last night and decided to put it in the oven with a little olive oil and sea salt.... i guess this is called balloon bread.

The Focaccia did turn out nice though.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Pizza last night and this morning oven was 600F, cooked up some bacon and some onions on a cast iron flat for an egg bake breakfast.

2 cups day old foccacia bread cut into 1 inch cubes.
    6 eggs whipped into 1/2 cup whole milk
    2 oz fresh mozzarella hand broken
    2 oz sharp cheddar grated
    5 strips of bacon crumbled
    1/2 medium onion lightly grilled
    coconut oil to lube bowl
    Salt and pepper to taste

Cast iron shallow cooking bowl

about 15 minutes in oven. let sit 10 minutes before cutting.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

I found a great new app for the iPad and iPhone called orange camera. I used it to take a picture of my oven this evening. This was taken in very low light so I hop to try out some of the other filters in daylight.

What do you think?

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

I am starting to turn out some nice breads, Today's feature was french loaves with a poolish starter.

Chip

Leave a comment:

Working...
X