X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ggoose
    replied
    Re: Chip's 42 in Minnesota

Thanks again Chip...I was hoping you might catch my hint . My computer now contains a file with "Chips recipes"!

I checked out the text you recommended - spendy (for the latest edition), but a highly recommended book. I have the 4th edition of Professional Cooking.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by ggoose View Post
    I appreciate it Chip. Would that snickerdoodle recipe be in the book as well?
    No but here is the Snickerdoodle recipe

Makes three dozen 3 inch cookies. Your mileage will vary by the size scoop you use. I weigh 1 oz balls.

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    2 tsps cream of tartar
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    16 tbsps (2 stick or 8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
    1 3/4 cups sugar, plus more if needed
    2 tbsps ground cinnamon, plus more if needed
    2 large eggs

Preheat the WFO to 450?F Floor temp; Line baking sheets parchment paper; set aside.

Sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add eggs, and beat to combine. Add dry ingredients, and beat to combine. At this point, I chill the dough overnight.

In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar and the ground cinnamon. Weigh the cold dough into 1 oz blocks and then roll into balls., and roll in cinnamon sugar. Place about two inches apart on parchment covered baking sheets. Bake until the cookies are set in center and begin to crack (they will not brown), about 8 minutes at 450F Floor temp in the WFO Transfer the sheets to a wire rack to cool about five minutes before transferring the cookies to the rack. In theory, they can be stored in an airtight container up to one week. But try them hot out of the oven "Bet ya can't eat just one"

Chip

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

I appreciate it Chip. Would that snickerdoodle recipe be in the book as well?

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Fired up the oven last night to bake a batch of cookies today in preparation for my daughters wedding in a couple of weeks.

Make 26 dozen, I did 3 cookie sheets at at time, 27 cookies and oven temp at start 450F and at end 410F The ones that came out first were a little nicer but all in all a good showing.

The round window door worked great, I could see how they were getting done 8 minutes for the first sheets and 11 minutes for the last due to temp loss.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Thanks Chip!
    goose,

One other thing.

I have started to read the Text Book

Professional Baking - Fourth Edition by Wayne Gisslen

It is the Textbook for baking used by Le Cordon Bleu If you decide to get it get 4th edition or later as the 4th was the first to add Artisan bread discussion.

There are some great techniques and discussions in here. BUT it is a textbook so not for light reading it is 700 pages and as far as I know only available in hardcover.

It is now in it's 6th edition, not sure what changes have been made to the newer printings.

Chip
    Last edited by mrchipster; 10-10-2012, 08:17 AM. Reason: added 6th edition note

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Thanks Chip!
    Glad to share.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

Thanks Chip!

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

The bread is definitely better looking that the baker

Where did you find your bread recipes?

gene
    Following is how the bread above was made, with a few other notes.

Basic recipe is one I keep coming back to and have been playing with the timing and techniques. Basic recipe came from General Mills Food Lab

1000 G 13% protein Dakota Maid Bread Flour
    600 G Water 75 degrees F
    1tsp Active Dry Yeast
    2tsp Salt

2 TBS EVOO

Put water in mixer and add yeast
    mix for 1 minute
    add Flour that has had salt forked into it to lower direct contact with yeast
    mix for 1 minute low speed.
    Add Olive Oil
    Mix for 4 more minutes - General Mills says 8 minutes but they do not do stretch and folds. or initial 45 minute bench time.

Put into Lightly oiled glass bowl and bench for 45 minutes

Put covered with plastic wrap into fridge, pull out and do stretch and folds 6 times over the next 48 hours.

Take out of fridge and form into bread shape desired.

Place in Couches or Bowls for shape and let rise to double.

Damp mop oven floor 10 minutes before bread load to clean and slightly cool floor.

Slash and put into oven with 6 oz water poured over lava rock (Photo of lava rock bowl attached) and 4 oz water sprayed on dome.

So far it seems that the ideal oven temp about 550F for buns, baguettes and batards. I like 480F or so for boules and larger loaves otherwise I crisp up the outside before the center is done.

I will add a handful of rosemary or cracked wheat sometimes. My wife also likes rosemary on the outside after a drizzle of EVOO and a sprinkle of sea salt. If adding the oil use parchment paper under the baguettes to keep the floor clean.

On another note an interesting thing happens to the glass door when baking bread. The glass will steam up and water will drip down the glass until the door heats up. See picture
    Chip
    Last edited by mrchipster; 10-10-2012, 07:53 AM. Reason: added steamed glass door photo

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Chip.
    You are better looking than I imagined......

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

The bread is definitely better looking that the baker

Where did you find your bread recipes?

gene

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Bread from last night.

Trying to do smaller batches as we cannot eat 7 loaves of bread before they get stale.

Placed a couple of hand fulls of lava rock into a bowl and put it in the oven an hour before bread bake. Put 6 oz of water on the lava rock just after putting in the bread. Oven was a little cool for bread 385F but it still baked up nice.

As you can see I am very happy with the result.

Chip

(Playing with Photo editing program).....
    Last edited by mrchipster; 10-09-2012, 06:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Baked some cookies "Snookerdoodles" two nights ago. Did some in the WFO and some in the home oven, Both on cookie sheets with parchment. The ones in the WFO were at about 525 dome temp for 8 minutes and the home gas oven 425 for 12 minutes - per recipe.

The first photo shows them midway thru the baking cycle in the WFO (looking thru my new door).

the next photos are WFO in front and Home oven in back.

Noticeable color and rise difference.

Next Thicker ones are WFO and thinner home oven. The WFO cookies were noticeably cakeier inside and crisper outside.

My wife was concerned about doing cookies and pies in the WFO and now is sold in a big way.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by Hoobie View Post
    Yumm! Taters look great.

Any concerns about thermal shock on the cast iron going form zero to seven hundred, as it were. Or did you preheat the cast iron a little?

-hoob
    No preheat. it seems to tolerate it, I think the food tempers the heat change.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• Hoobie
    replied

Yumm! Taters look great.

Any concerns about thermal shock on the cast iron going form zero to seven hundred, as it were. Or did you preheat the cast iron a little?

-hoob

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

I did some live fire cooking last night of ground beef meat loaf and baby red potatoes cut into quarters. Oven dome about 750 and floor 700.
    Potatoes were drizzled with coconut oil (stands up to heat well), both were cooked on cast iron.

Another great meal.

Chip

Leave a comment:

Working...
X