Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardella 42" oven

Hello all,
    I've been lurking in the forums for two years or so while in the planning stages of my oven. I finally have the time and property of my own to actually build the oven. Right now I'm drawing the oven in CAD and I have a question about the landing. I tried going though as many posts as possible prior to posting and I apologize if this has been addressed/asked before.

The Pompeii plans call for an 8" vent landing and a 12" oven landing; so that's a total of 20" in front of the opening to the oven. For a 42" oven, its another 42" to the back of the oven. So that's 62" (over 5') to get too the back of the oven.

I'm considering modifying the plans to have a 12" vent landing and eliminate the oven landing. I like the look of the oven landing but I'm concerned it will be difficult to reach the back the oven.

I'm wondering if really should be concerned? Is the length of a typical peel handle long enough to retrieve a pizza from the back of the oven without scorching your hand?

Thanks in advance

Re: Gardella 42" oven

Well I got most of the details hammered out and submitted for a permit today. Shouldn't take long to get the approval (also have tentative approval from my wife).

I've never been this excited to dig a big hole before.

Comment

Welcome to the best project you ever did! My vent is 8" deep and takes up that much of my landing! I don't recall total landing, but 15" comes to mind.
      The vent area does not add to the landing, it takes some of the space above it. Hope that is clear and correct!
      Enjoy the ride! John
      Build Thread:http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/i...ome-15521.html
      Photos: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brick-...67884/pic/list
      Oven Blog: http://johns-brickoven.blogspot.com/...ven-folly.html

Comment

Australia Perth

I've just started on latest project 42 inch wfo . I sure ive seen the angle for the soldier row on the forum but now cant find it !!!! Sio please can someone put me out of my misery and remind me of the angle to cut to the soldier bricks

Trev
        Last edited by barhen; 08-25-2011, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Official ground breaking this weekend! I only made one major mistake; I didn't have any beer to help with the digging I hope the construction goes relatively quickly. I hope to at least have the stand and prep table constructed before the freezing weather shuts me down. My wife thinks my son (now 3 mo. old) will be helping me finish the stone work on the outside I think she knows me too well.

@ John, thanks for the info. I ended up making the vent/landing area as wide as possible. Both in an effort to keep it from feeling too cave like/enclosed and giving me an area to stage the pizza before they go in the oven.

~Colin

Comment

Well, progress is about as fast as expected (which is to say slow). I finally got all the foundation trenches dug. I had to dig down 2' in order to get the top of the footings below the frost line. The stiff clay and rocks certainly didn't make that easy.

Now I need to set the concrete forms and start pouring concrete. Fall has arrived in NC and cold weather is around the corner. I better pick up the pace!

Comment

Finally made some solid progress on the base. I had some days to take off work (use it or lose it) and I put the time into the oven. Very satisfying work. Anyway, I posted a few pictures of my progress.

There ended up being a gas line going right through the middle of my oven location. So I had to do some creative engineering to get the walls to work out.

Still hoping to get the slabs poured before winter!

Comment

The weather is finally cooperating and I got my slab poured last weekend. I still need to double check but I think water is pooling is the middle of the slab. I'm wondering if I should level the slab with a cement/sand slurry or just pour my insulating concrete and leave it alone.

There was <1/4" of water is the center of the slab and I haven't had a chance to check for drainage.

Comment

Re: Gardella 42&quot; oven

-Depending on how you are going to finish the oven (igloo or covered roof) the insulating concrete should work to give you a level surface to build the oven.
                  -Is the insulating concrete going to go all the way to the edges? Or more of an island?

Bring on the Pictures-

Mike

Comment

I'm not worried about the leveling the hearth, as you said the insulating concrete will take care of that.

I'm worried that if any water gets in, it could pool under the insulation. I've read a lot of (good) advice on this site recommending to slope the slab away from the center; but didn't keep that in mind building the forms. And I'm don't remember if it was in reference to igloo style enclosures.

I'm building a "house style" enclosure and the insulation will be set back from the edge of the concrete. The outside will be stacked stone so there wont be much opportunity for water to get in....but water is very determined. Thanks for the help!
                    Attached Files

Comment

I don't see how water would pool under the foundation in the middle unless there was a void there. If you are building an enclosure than you will just have to make it water tight. It all might depend on how the water might get in.

Mike

Comment

I got the vermicrete layer poured this weekend. That stuff is strange. I didn't think it would would set but sure enough its hardening up. How long should I wait to remove the forms. It seems like I can remove them now (24 hours post pour) but I don't want to push it.

Hope to get some firebrick put down this weekend!

Colin

Comment

Originally posted by cgardella View Post
                          I got the vermicrete layer poured this weekend. That stuff is strange. I didn't think it would would set but sure enough its hardening up. How long should I wait to remove the forms. It seems like I can remove them now (24 hours post pour) but I don't want to push it.

Hope to get some firebrick put down this weekend!

Colin
                          I would wait as long as is available, that stuff is very soft for about a week.

You want it to dry uncovered after a week of being covered, it is a concrete...then dry as long as possible to allow the large amount of water to escape

Chip
                          Last edited by mrchipster; 03-19-2012, 06:56 PM.
                          Chip

Comment

I agree with chip. This stuff is great on compression strength but SUCKS on tensil strength. In other words it will support the weight of your dome but the corners will chip of easily while you are working. I completed my dome (several weeks) before I took the forms down.
                            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hey Colin,

Great start to your oven! I'm with Chip. Wait as long as you can on the vermicrete and be careful working around it - it's fragile. Have you got a plan for your oven, entryway and insulation? Now would be a great time to finalize some of those ideas you've no doubt been knocking around all winter.
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X