Gardella 42" oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gardella 42" oven

Thanks for the replies and advice. I guess I'll just leave the forms in place while I build the dome as Gulf suggested. No reason not to. I just wanted to take some "beauty" shots of the progress.

I do have a few other oven-related task to do and some mid-stream design changes from my wife to consider...

thanks again
    Colin

Comment

I had some time last night to take some pictures before doing a little brickwork. I got the insulation hearth poured and started on the oven. After all that time and effort required to build the stand, its hard to believe I am building the actual oven now!

I'm up the 5th chain and its starting to get steep. I'm still using the half bricks and they're not yet in danger of falling back into the oven before the grout dries. It seems like the next row I may have to start cutting the bricks into wedges, any advice?

The entry arch transition was a little difficult to figure out but I think I've got a pretty good system. The edges aren't lining up like I thought they would but I can live with it.

One thing that I'm going to do a little differently than ovens I've come across on this forum is at the entry I'm going to install a semi-permanent grill. the outer arch is going to be about 3.5' wide and about 13" deep. That's plenty of grilling space. The fire box and grate portions of the grill will be removable but the brackets to hold everything in place will be permanently installed. Thats part of the reason I pushed the back of the oven so close the rear wall (still 3" for insulation). Thats also why there is no vermicrete slab at the front of the oven; I'm going the leave the slab lower at the front so the top of the grill isn't at an awkward height.

Anyway, the pictures of my progress are attached. Hope my description made sense.

Comment

Wow, its been a long time since I've updated this. After a large push in spring to get the oven functional for a pizza party I took the summer off. Those first few pizza's were incredible! It changed the minds of all the skeptics and all the people who thought I was crazy.

I attached a picture of the oven current state of completion. I'm getting very close. Everything should be done by November!

The front of the oven, surrounded by brick, is the area I'll install a drop in grill grate. Its easier to see in this picture than the previous pics I posted. This also show the large concrete arch that will support the chimney. I think it opens up the front of the oven quite a bit. Which gives me an area to have the grill without restricting access to the oven opening.

Thanks again everyone. I've read countless posts on this forum and I couldn't have done it without all the collective knowledge here.

Comment

nice build, looks great
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...s-i-18098.html

Comment

very interesting flue design It should breathe very well, looks like a very nice build. Nice wide open work area.

Congratulations on pizza level and the approval of your distrators.

Chip
            Chip

Comment

Here are a few more pics of the build. I didn't couldn't take too many as I did much of the work myself and didn't have time to take the pictures.

@chip
              Thanks, and there will be an 8x8 chimney above the opening to create good draw and keep the smoke out of my face.

Comment

Completed!!

I had to Hire someone to do the final stone work but he did a much better job than I could have ever done. I remember looking at the completed ovens before I started building mine and thinking it would take forever to get there. Glad I did it but I'm not ready to build another one; I'll be happy with pizza and beer for a while.

Comment

Working...
                X