Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aceves's Corner 42" Pompeii Build

Aceves,
    You gotta be excited now that you're on the home stretch! Let us know your proposed curing schedule and by all means....post some pics!
    John

Comment

Hi John,

I am definitely excited!

I do actually have pics to post. I've been trying to add them to the "manage attachments" window, but it's taking FOREVER to upload the pics! I don't know what's going on. I'm going to add a few pics to the daily pics section to see if that makes it easier for the FB website to accept my pics.

This happened last time. Took me 1 hour to post 3 pics....

aceves
      Last edited by aceves; 09-30-2011, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Before uploading the file you're reducing the file size to around 1mb or less, right?

Comment

Hi John,

Yes, I've been reducing the size of my pics to about 300-350 KB. I've just uploaded some pics - see above. More pics to come.

My outer arch is not the most perfect arch out there, but it will do. I will be adding another decorative arch in front of this arch, so I'm not too worried about it not being the best job out there. The inner seams (where everybody will be able to see) will be nice and tight. It works for me!

aceves

Comment

So here are more pics of my entry/vent. I had my forms in place for a full 24 hours, and I removed them to mortar my inner seams and clean up the entry.

I borrowed the vent design from Sharkey (thanks Sharkey!) and I'll be doing a modified clay flue liner.

As you can see, I tapered my inner arch bricks so the smoke & gases have a smoother transition up the flue. My reveal is at 1.5" for my door.

I'm really happy how it's turning out. Again, not the most precise job ( a few bricks are a little out of place, but it looks awesome to me nonetheless!

I'll be starting my curing fires in a couple of weeks!

aceves
            Attached Files

Comment

Enjoy the nice clean look, i miss it before it was compeletely black haha.

Comment

OK, so I've insulated my dome after a few curing fires! I am still going through the whole curing cycle, just did a few fires to see if any cracks developed. So far no cracks.

chidding, I know what you mean by enjoying the clean look. My curing fires blackened all my brickwork!

I added my insulation blankets and added the chicken wire to keep it all together. I just have a few of questions to the FB members:

1) How important is it that I add perlite insulation on top of the FB blankets? Do I really need more insulation or is 3" of FB blanket enough insulation?

2) What happens if the FB blanket gets wet? Will it break apart?

The weather is starting to turn here in NorCal and I need to cover up my dome before winter gets here. Yesterday I started cutting my metal studs to build my enclosure but ran out of time. Now I have prior commitments and will not be able to get to it for the next 2 weeks.

Your comments & suggestions are most welcome!

aceves

Comment

Aceves -

The FB insulation will be enough - add vermiculite / perlite at your discretion. It will help the bricks retain heat - which will be most relevant if you're baking bread or other cooking the next day (after a pizza fire). I think the 3" of FB blanket is all you need. To see - get the dome up to temp and measure the temperature on the outside of the 3" of insulation.

The FB blanket should be okay "wet" - but I would try to keep it dry. If it gets wet - your dome will get wet - and that will require more curing / drying.

Get that thing closed - it's supposed to rain in Sacramento later this week!!!!!

Just took another look at your more recent pics - and I really like the arch/chimney transition. The curved look really looks great. Now just wait until it gets coated in soot! We need pics of fire in that thing!
                  Last edited by Cheesesteak; 10-31-2011, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Thanks Cheesesteak & Karangi Dude,

I just got back from vacation and inspected the FB blanket. It did get a little wet (even though I had a tarp over it). I won't worry about it too much, per your advice. I'll take my time curing and drying it.

The race is on to build the enclosure and cover it up. The rains are coming!

aceves

Comment

OK, so I've been busy trying to cover up my oven!

My insulation blanket is on, my enclosure is up, and I just finished my chimney. As of today, I have a fully functional WFO!!! Now I have to wait for the chimney mortar to dry and it's on to the curing fires (re-curing, actually, since I had already started curing about a couple of weeks ago).

I was going to post some pics, but it's taking forever to upload (yes, I've reduced the size of the pics already). I'll post pics later tonight or tomorrow.

aceves

Comment

Aceves,
                        Looks awesome! I would say "ABOUT TIME!!!" but it looks like it was worth the wait. Love to see it sometime.

dusty

Comment

Hey Dusty,

I know, right!!?? Took me a long time! But's it's finally done, more or less. I'm going to let the chimney dry completely before I begin the curing phase.

I'll send you an invite as soon as we're up to speed with our cooking. It might be a while before I perfect my temps. Stay tuned!

Here are some photos, as promised.

The flue piece cut at an angle and the enclosure.

aceves

Comment

Here is my custom chimney design. I borrowed ideas from a couple of FB members - leemc and gt40 - and made it work with the flue pieces that I had. My flue measures 8"x13" oval, and I think it will draw well per some other members' comments here on the Forum.

I insulated the dome first before I installed the chimney, as I didn't want the flue pieces touching the dome firebricks and transferring heat to the chimney, and I wanted the dome fully insulated on its own.

I placed a firebrick platform at the very top of the dome for the upright chimney to sit on. That way I was able to cover the bottom end of the flue instead of it just sitting on the FB blanket. Should work very well.

aceves
                            Last edited by aceves; 11-09-2011, 11:25 AM.

Comment

More pics. Here you can see how it all came together. The mortar set up quick and I was not able to move that thing within minutes.

I reinforced the oval chimney with spare triangle-cut firebricks using them as shims to stabilize the flue pieces.

It's not the cleanest job I've done, but nobody is going to see this, so functionality was the priority. Once the mortar dries, I'm going to insulate the chimney with more FB blanket.

The last pic is how the inside looks like, with the bend going backwards.

aceves
                              Last edited by aceves; 11-09-2011, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aceves View Post
                                I borrowed the vent design from Sharkey (thanks Sharkey!) and I'll be doing a modified clay flue liner.
                                I just noticed this. I'm happy that I could help somebody else out. I thought it looked good in mine, but seeing photos from somebody else's oven, I have to say it looks awesome.

Great job Aceves.
                                Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

Working...
                                X