Weight Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Questions

I am currently in the process of outfitting a food trailer with a wood fire oven, I really would like to build a pompeii oven inside the truck, but am concerned about the weight, would have to be big enough to do 4-5 pies at a time. I could do a relatively lightweight metal frame base stand, but the oven and cooking surface I am curious if anyone has specs on weight? I am trying to decide between building my own oven or going with a kit - so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Weight Questions

I'm assuming a 42" oven will hold 4-5 individual pizzas. Maybe others can confirm as I'm just planning my build. Bricks weigh anywhere from 7-8lbs, depending on the type a brick you use. So the 200 bricks (based on the pompeii plans) needed for the hearth and dome would weigh 1400-1600 lbs.

I would say use lighter weight, modern insulation. Also I've seen portable ovens around town clad in light weight Stainless Steel "scales" that were pretty nice looking. It's a great treat to have a wood fired pizza at a music festival!

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by flippinsweet View Post
      I am currently in the process of outfitting a food trailer with a wood fire oven, I really would like to build a pompeii oven inside the truck, but am concerned about the weight, would have to be big enough to do 4-5 pies at a time. I could do a relatively lightweight metal frame base stand, but the oven and cooking surface I am curious if anyone has specs on weight? I am trying to decide between building my own oven or going with a kit - so any help is appreciated. Thanks.
      Hi:
      It would seem that a kit would be stronger and easier to build and safer. If you need it permitted you would have to have a engineered set of plans I would think a kit would be engineered. Also you could put in as much insulation as you want. If you are not a Mason or really good at brick work then time might be a issue also. Most if not all problems are manufactured out of kit's and you could get a better idea of weight as you will know what is shipped to you. Also you will have a real idea of what you add. I would be more concerned with vibration with a plan build as opposed to the kit.
      Hank

Comment

Weight is an issue if you retrofitting an existing trailer. Vibration (and subsequent cracking) would be a bigger concern if you're using bricks.
        My oven (for now):
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Thanks all - i hadn't thought about vibration as an issue with cracking, still hopeful about doing a custom build as oppossed to a kit, but still mulling pros and cons, thanks and more knowledge and feedback is certainly appreciated.

Comment

been really struggling, but after much investigating it appears many mobile WFO are pompeii style builds - though they are done on smaller flatbeds, and I am looking at doing mine inside an airstream.

In terms of cracking issues - what might be thoughts about preventing this during the pre-planning and build. I do have a friend who is a professional mason, so I will not be flying totally blind on my own skills, but ANY thoughts of what I might plan for before hand are appreciated.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
            X