Superwool 607

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superwool 607

I may have found a supplier locally that sells this but wasn't positive it would be okay to use. I tried to do a search but did not get any hits, do I need to put them in " " ? This is a #8, Superwool 607. Thanks

Re: Superwool 607

I am using a product called Superwool 607 by Thermal Ceramics. Attached is the datasheet. I have purchased the 128 kg/m3 weight, I have not installed yet but it is a ceramic insulation that looks suitable and similar to other brands of ceramic insulation others have used for their WFOs

Brett
    Attached Files

Comment

I have no clue what to look for in this type of insulation. I thought there was a sticky with a list of insulation's that people have used with no problems but have been unable to find it, so I wanted to make sure this would work. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

For the around oven insulation you're looking for an insulation that is stable in temps of 1200F or higher. Higher temp insulations will cost more. I doubt that 1000F temp would achieved on the exterior dome of most of our ovens but over engineering is better than under.

Another item to look for is if there are binders that will burn off at these temps.. Typical Fiberglass insulation has these nasty binders. Even if you don't mind the smells of these burning off and that the glass is stable in these temps the question becomes, when this insulation no longer has the binders will it compress and maintain it's insulating value to the same degree.

I'd bet that the insulation that you mentioned is stable and ment for high tem applications but if you want to be sure, and learn a bit, call the manufacture.

Chris
        Last edited by SCChris; 08-15-2011, 08:39 AM.

Comment

I talked to the guy earlier today and he sent me the spec

http://www.morganthermalceramics.com...114-105_us.pdf

It seems like a good deal for $77 for a #8 1"x 24"x 25 feet and it's only about 20 min
          from my house. It doesn't sound like there should be any problems with binders or temp spec but figured I would post it just in case somebody thinks three might be a problem. Thanks

Comment

It looks like you'll be fine with this product. If it good enough for kilns, it should be fine for oven use.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Mistertoy View Post
              I am using a product called Superwool 607 by Thermal Ceramics. Attached is the datasheet. I have purchased the 128 kg/m3 weight, I have not installed yet but it is a ceramic insulation that looks suitable and similar to other brands of ceramic insulation others have used for their WFOs

Brett
              I'm looking for some small pieces of Superwool. I see that you purchased some to use in your oven. Do you have any scraps that you would be willing to sell. I don't need much and do not want to buy an entire roll. Thanks. Glen

Comment

I have not purchased any yet. Still looking at my options and I think I have decided against using the Superwool. I have found insulfrax for $10 more per roll and I think that might be a better product for the money and I can pick it up closer to home. If I do go with the Superwool I will let you know. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dlebla View Post
                  I have not purchased any yet. Still looking at my options and I think I have decided against using the Superwool. I have found insulfrax for $10 more per roll and I think that might be a better product for the money and I can pick it up closer to home. If I do go with the Superwool I will let you know. Thanks
                  I think Insulfrax would work for me too. Let me know.

Comment

I will not be starting my oven till spring. Just getting my materials ready. I'll let you know whenever that is.

Comment

I'm using 3" of Superwool for the dome and covering with vermiculite concrete to seal in ceramic fibers; Insblock for under the firebrick. High Temp Inc in Portland, OR supplied.

Comment

Okay, The guy came down to $65 and I could pick it up locally so I got 3 rolls of the Superwool 607 last night. He has more if anyone locally wants the info let me know.

Comment

Working...
                        X