want to build mobile pizza oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• want to build mobile pizza oven

Not sure if this is the right spot, but i am considering building a mobile woodfired oven that i can take to different sites. And was wondering if anyone else had done this and what problems and solutions they may have encountered. Thanks in advance.

Re: want to build mobile pizza oven

Try searching the forum. There is quite a lot of discussion on mobile ovens available to read.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Nope, hasn't been done. =D
      My oven (for now):
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Press the search button at the top and type "mobile" then push "go".
        You get lots of threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Tman1 View Post
          Nope, hasn't been done. =D
          Be nice...

Remember "Minnesota Nice".....
          Last edited by mrchipster; 08-29-2011, 04:03 AM.
          Chip

Comment

I understand it has bee done commercially. More I was wondering if someone had done it using the Pomeii oven plans and what issues they may have run into design wise etc.

Comment

As the oven is subjected to bumps and vibration the fewer pieces it's made from the better.I have heard of brick ovens falling to bits pretty quickly on mobile trailers, so I built mine using a castings. I did the floor in one piece and the dome in one piece. It's about 4 years old and cops plenty of abuse, particularly as I hire it out lotsnand people tend to want to see how hot they can get it. Like a rental car " thrash it then give it back".
              Most people build modular ovens for mobile application.

Comment

David that's whatIi wanted to know. Did you use a commercially available kit or did you make your own molds and cast using refractory? I had thought about this process I don't think the mold would be too difficult to make as the commercial ones I've seen are not a true dome shape.

As to the floor I had thought about casting it in four pieces to allow for thermal expansion, but maybe I'm over thinking that part.

Do you have any photos of the dome casting process if you cast your own?

Thanks,
                Gregg

Comment

I made my own mould in fiberglass creating an inner and outer moulds But if you only intend making one dome it is a lot of work making the master, then making a mould of it to then create a casting of the the mould. A much easier way to create a one off casting is to use the castable refractory over a sand hump and trowel the mixture over it.

Comment

I used a plywood form with a false bottom and sand cast the dome. Made the pour in one cast. Castable refractory is about $38/ 50 lb bag (Portland, OR), 40" dome took about 18 bags. Castable refractory sets off hot. You'll need to provide cooling via soaker hose. I made a simple rectangular vent landing/tunnel. I'm thinking I should have made an arch which would allow a more generous entry and better smoke management. I may modify (demo and repour the vent). I scaled the oven using Pompeii dimensions. I have a jib hoist that allowed me to lift the dome onto the trailer. You'll have to think about how you will lift 1000 lbs if you make a monolithic pour.

I liked the process. I'm more of a carpenter than a mason, so it was pretty easy to construct the form. Of course it helps if you have scrap wood around for bracing etc.

I heard some comments in Eugene, OR that a castable oven can spall into the oven. Based on David S'. experience, I don't think this is an issue. But that being said, I know there are brick ovens on the road in Eugene.

Comment

Now you guys are speaking my language. Since I have a construction background devising a two piece wooden mould should not be too difficult.
                      I was thinking about sectioning the dome into four to six sections that could have an interlocking lip so would actually need two moulds.
                      Just wondering if a strict dome is necessary or if a kind of kinked (easier mould to construct from plywood) wall to roof design would work. I've seen one by another company that is shaped this way.

And yeah figuring out how to lift a 1,000+lb monolithic pour would be a problem. Guess I could rent a hoist. How thick did you pour your walls?
                      41/2" like it would be out of brick?
                      Thanks for the help.
                      Gregg

Comment

3" walls. Browse for Joey Velderrain mobile pizza build. I scaled a 40" oven so the total outside diameter is 46" which will fit on a 4 ft plywood. Route the grooves for 1/4 plywood. Brace internal and external. Fit a false floor. Build a sand dome. I think a domed ceiling will do a better job of evenly distributing radiant heat. Be sure to install a rabbet to fit a door against. You need to install the false bottom in pieces that you can remove once the dome is set.

I poured the dome on a bed of 4x4's spread apart. Once the dome had cured, I cut out a notch in the plywood on one side and slide a jack under it. Jacked up one side of the dome and shimmed. Went to the other side and did the same. Then I slipped 2 pieces of C channel underneath and attached a chain with bolts. Picked it right up and set it on the trailer. Used the jack method on the trailer to remove the C channel. That part went surprisingly well.

I am considering changing in the vent roof area. I poured a flat section and cast in a metalbestos pipe connection. The smoke is not properly channeling up the chimney. I can see why now, but that is hindsight. I would try to arch the vent landing. That would open it up to get easier access to the dome as well at help guide the smoke of the chimney rather than let it spill out the front.

2" of insblock under firebrick for floor. 3" superwool on the dome. I'm going to cover the superwool with vermiculite concrete to seal in the ceramic fibers. I'm using a weather enclosure over the dome and trailer.

I just got my dome on my trailer last night. Starting with warm up fires each day as I continue my insulation.

David S. is a good resource for castable refractory.

Good luck

Larry
                        Last edited by lljdavis; 09-01-2011, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X