thermal mass ratio hearth:dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: thermal mass ratio hearth:dome

I think most members report that their oven floors are too hot after the coals have been raked aside and the the ash blown away. Pizzas are like pancakes, the first one is usually a bit of a dud. I use the semolina test and my floor takes around 2 secs for it to go black after raking aside the coals, blowing the ash away and letting it sit for a while, so my regime is to place the first pizza partially in the entry. By the third pizza the oven has hit its sweet spot and provided the fire is maintained on the side I can pump out pizzas all night.My floor thickness is the same as the dome by the way @ 2"thick
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Re: thermal mass ratio hearth:dome

Originally posted by david s View Post
      I think most members report that their oven floors are too hot after the coals have been raked aside and the the ash blown away. Pizzas are like pancakes, the first one is usually a bit of a dud. I use the semolina test and my floor takes around 2 secs for it to go black after raking aside the coals, blowing the ash away and letting it sit for a while, so my regime is to place the first pizza partially in the entry. By the third pizza the oven has hit its sweet spot and provided the fire is maintained on the side I can pump out pizzas all night.My floor thickness is the same as the dome by the way @ 2"thick
      Thank you for that. Since that is my experience as well, perhaps technique may be more/or as important as design.
      Last edited by pyg; 06-14-2014, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X