Lotsa Brick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lotsa Brick

I've got a lot of used brick here. Will be staring my base soon. But I'm looking for suggestions on how to incorporate these used brick into my final oven plans. Also I probably won't get to my oven itself till winter. Is that a problem for curing? I live in Sacramento so winters if you call it that are very mild with an occasional freeze. Thanks for the input...Troy

Re: Lotsa Brick

Portland cement mortars shouldn't be used below 40 degrees F., including the curing period. Also, masonry work is not fun in near freezing weather. Some builders have built heated enclosures for winter work, but if it were me, I'd wait for warmer weather.

I can't tell much about your brick from the photo of the pile. Almost any brick will make a more attractive stand/enclosure than concrete block and stucco in my opinion.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks Dmun ... Here is a couple more photos of the brick they are a full 9x4.5x 2.5 inches they range from pink to yellow and in between.
      Last edited by troymac; 09-10-2011, 04:03 PM. Reason: Addional Photo

Comment

It would be better if the imprint said, iBrick.......
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

[QUOTE=dmun;120423]Portland cement mortars shouldn't be used below 40 degrees F., including the curing period.

what kind of mortar should be used then?
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. Freezing is way bad for wet masonry. You don't want to do your build when there's even a chance of it.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

So presumably it is the water content in the mortar rather than the type of cement used that is the problem?
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Troymac, did you happen to get those bricks by taking down a chimney and fireplace? I'm in Sacramento myself, Citrus Heights actually, and we removed our fireplace and chimney. The bricks look a lot like those in the picture, sort of salmon colored and longer than most bricks. We've used the bricks so far mostly to make paths in the backyard, but I am gathering info for a wfo build. At any rate, good luck with your project and keep us posted.

Comment

No got them awhile ago at Hc Muddox. They were used from an old building in Ione.

Comment

I would start now, because you might not finish by this winter. It takes longer than you think. But you should be fine in Sacramento. If you need to you could always cover it with a blanket if there is a freeze. But keep it dry, don't let it get wet mid project.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X