Tuscan vs Neapolitan profile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuscan vs Neapolitan profile?

I am in design stage of an outdoor kitchen to include a 42 inch Pompeii brick oven. I will use the oven mostly for pizza so I have been leaning towards the Naples style but I can envision using it on occasion for other baking and roasting functions. So I don't want to limit the interior heigth too much. Should I reconsider and do the Tuscan style? Or does it really matter that much?

Re: Tuscan vs Neapolitan profile?

My first question would be what type of pizza do you envision wanting to cook? Many people find they like more of a hybrid style pizza cooked at 700-750F on the hearth for a couple minutes. It comes out a bit dryer and crisper and closer to what most americans expect from a pizza. If this sounds like what you are after then the easier to build well documented hemispherical dome is probably the way to go.

If on the other hand you know you like, or envision liking the ultra traditional wet and floppy pizza like the top places in naples tend to make you might want to consider a low dome oven. You can certainly run a hemispherical oven at the 900F+ temperatures that will produce this type of pizza in under a minute, but it will take more work and skill from you to get a balanced bake. The lower dome puts the live fire closer to the top of the pie and cooks it faster. In a higher domed oven you generally need to use the peel to hold the pie up into the dome to achieve the same balanced bake.

Just my two sense...I'm sure it will enrage some of the hemisphere lovers as I always tend to, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Yabba Dabba Doo View Post
      I am in design stage of an outdoor kitchen to include a 42 inch Pompeii brick oven. I will use the oven mostly for pizza so I have been leaning towards the Naples style but I can envision using it on occasion for other baking and roasting functions. So I don't want to limit the interior heigth too much. Should I reconsider and do the Tuscan style? Or does it really matter that much?
      If you build it you will like it.

I have not heard a complaint from anyone hear that has built either of them or a pre fab. Just went through a post where the person just stacked a bunch of bricks together no mortar no design and a flat top. He has had several parties. And is very happy with it and the pizza it produces.

Comment

Thanks very much. I would not have known that. Since I do prefer a more American style pizza, sounds like I should go with a higher dome design. Thanks

Comment

The low dome style is harder to build as well (so they say). I might depend on your personal skill as a builder and a cook. Most ovens are a high dome style, because you can do more with them. But do it how you want.

Mike

Comment

A lot of builders compromise on a hybrid oven halfway between a Tuscan and Naples-style oven. Coupled with the analysis reported here by mklingles which reports near-identical radiative heat patterns between mid and higher ovens, it makes a case for building a higher oven simply because it operates the same, holds more volume, and is easier to build.

Comment

Thanks for your info. I do think I will go for a higher oven.

Comment

The higher oven will result in a higher doorway which can be an advantage, particularly if the oven is small.you can fit in bigger roasts.It also gives you a larger volume which means a larger combustion chamber which in turn means a bigger fire and should result in quicker heat up. In practice though, you would notice little difference.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks David, My overall outdor kitchen design is starting to take shape - slowly. I am also considering having a Grillworks wood grill.

Comment

Working...
                  X