The Last Stand 42" Pompeii Oven Built

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Last Stand 42" Pompeii Oven Built

I have been working on my oven for a week or so and I am up to the 7 th chain. I have used a lot of FB mortar 120 lbs. I have about 40 lbs left is that enough to finish my dome?

I know each course is getting smaller and I have been tapering my bricks to make the joints smaller and where possible I have inserted brick slivers into the joints.

How much motor does it take to complete a 42 inch oven that is 21" high?

Comment

I have a 32" oven and used 3 full bags of FB50 mortar, then about 3/4 of a bag of Heatstop50 (just to give it a try). Since your oven diameter is larger it stands to reason you'll need at least as much as me, though you may be using it more sparingly than I. If you wind up with a bit too much you can always clad the outside of the oven with it for additional thermal mass...

gene

Comment

42" I used 4 3/4 bags
        Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0191 (Custom).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	287627

Comment

Thanks Ggoose and Djrljr,

That is good to know, it looks like I will be at least 50 lbs short, I should pick up 100 lbs. I can always use the left overs for the outside of the oven add a little thermal mass.

Comment

I bought one at a time so as to avoid ending up with a full, unopened bag that I didn't need...the drawback is that if you do need it you need to order it and wait (though I did get them in as little as 2-3 days).

Comment

I ended up driving to FB today and picked up 100 lbs of the mortar. I am planning to finish my dome this weekend! Did not want to take the chance that I would run out.

Comment

Driving!!! So you saved the shipping charge!...Nice

Comment

I am up to my 7th chain, need to figure out the bevel for the arch to dome transition. I looked at a lot of builds and the pictures have been very helpful. I think I will dive in and cut some bricks, and see what happens.

That is Munson waiting for pizza!

Comment

I can see how these oven builds can take months or even years to complete, so many thing in life take priority, like the honey do list. I have had a few evenings free and have finished my dome.

My ID tool moved and I did not notice messed up my 8th chain a little but re centered it and went on.

When I got up to my 10th chain I used a pistol grip clamp to hold the first brick in place and placed two bricks and let it set. Using that method I was able to do the last 3 chains without a form.

No form made cleaning easier, but it is hard to reach in a 42 inch oven, I missed a few spots that hardened. I don't think anyone will care once the pizza start coming out.

Comment

Almost done! Finished my vent and arch and covered the oven with FB blanket 3 inches. The FB Blanket was easy to work with and stayed in place. Covered it with chicken wire and put on the first coat of stucco. I want to start a fire in the oven but need to wait a few more days to cure for a full seven days and now it looks like it is going to rain.

Comment

Wait.. have you put the blanket + render on without even curing? .. doesnt sound right..

Wheres the water from the mortar supposed to go?

Comment

Hi Chidding,

Good to hear from you.

I thought the same thing that the water would boil out the top and need somewhere to go. I believe the water left in the bricks and mortar will go out though the vent. The finished ovens from Forno Bravo are insulated and rendered before curing.

I think the moisture travels to the interior of the oven in order to equalize the heat in the bricks.

I am sure some one here can explain thermal dynamics a lot better.

Comment

From my understanding, the moisture will escape away from the fire.. so mostly outwards in all directions..

The cast ovens from FB have been curing for a long time before you get them though.. thats the difference if im not mistaken.

Im sure you'll be ok, its just not an optimal route in terms of curing..

Comment

Finally stopped raining for a few days, I have used the rain delays to let my oven cure for about a month, and finished the outside of the igloo. I covered the rendering with Red Guard water proofing, finishes stucco, and applied a travertine and onyx mosaic to the oven.

I thought the mosaic would go on easily because it came in 1 foot sheets, when I started putting the sheets on after about the 3 sheet I could see that it was not going to line up due to the curvature of the oven. I ended up removing the few sheets and taking the 1"x 1" tiles off the mat backing and placing them by hand. It took me 3 evenings and nights to place all 7200tiles and two 25 lbs bags of grout.

Comment

Here are some pictures of my finished oven and first curing fire!

The oven was made to be mobile using a forklift, it moves OK on solid ground, but on uneven train it was a bit scare, I felt like I night tip over. Before I move it again I will have to put some rock/road base in from my patio to my ranch trail/road.

I made the door out of 2 pieces of 18 Gage steel, 1 1/4" metal strap, and a pair of knobs cost $50. I placed a sheet of FB blanket in the middle of the metal and I had a friend weld it for me. I just need to grind the welds smooth, cut the blots for the handles down, and paint the door. The small hole is for the thermometer, I have a nut welded to the inside to secure it.

Comment

Working...
                                X