Has anyone used wood for oven base?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone used wood for oven base?

Like use wood supports and pour concrete slab then follow standard building procedures? I'm trying to build on existing patio without digging if possible...?..

Re: Has anyone used wood for oven base?

Wood expands, contracts, moves and breathes. It's not a good foundation for your oven. How thick is your patio concrete? You might be able to build the block stand stand on top of it.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Yes, I have a wood base. It's built like a log home and not a pier system. If you have any wood in contact with the concrete be sure to use a pressure treated wood suitable for ground penetration. My oven is on a gravel base and I've had no problems and has not moved in more then a year.

Here is an older post with the same question. My post has a picture of my base.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/s...tml#post115295
      Last edited by Faith In Virginia; 09-30-2011, 11:28 PM.

Comment

"I'm trying to build on existing patio without digging if possible...?.."

Do you have the details of the existing patio ? Is it reinforced concrete ? What is under it ?

Note that these ovens are in the 1500 lb range. This is a significant load to be carried on an existing patio slab which in all probability was not designed for this. I would be concerned about settlement and failure/cracking of the patio.

You will be making a considerable investment in time (and money). A good foundation is certainty worth the effort.
        Last edited by Neil2; 10-02-2011, 11:34 AM.

Comment

well it's at least 8" thick maybe more... had the wife measure as i'm at work. might be thicker cause she didn't dig down too far. i'm not sure if it's reinforced or not. it has as small (2 foot) brick wall on it now that might be able to be used as a start for the base... sure would be nice not to have to cut up one slab to put in another.

Comment

how thick does foundation slab need to be?

Comment

"how thick does foundation slab need to be?"

Six inches is typical if it is reinforced. If yours is as much as 8 inches it may have reinforcing. If you have one of those sall magnetic "stud finders" or even a compass, you can pass this over the surface. The rebar, if any, will affect the compass.

If you decide to build on the existing patio slab, you may want to consider a saw cut or grinder cut ( 1/2 inch deep) around the perimeter of the proposed oven wall. The added weight will almost certainly crack the slab and these cuts may confine the cracking.

Comment

Working...
              X