DIY Tuscan Grill Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Tuscan Grill Questions

I have a porcelain coated cast iron grill that I want to put some legs on to make a Tuscan grill.
    Any suggestions on what people have used for legs? I was thinking of using some big carriage bolts anchored in some small square firebrick pieces for feet.
    There are some metals that I should avoid though, right?

Thanks!
    Toby

Re: DIY Tuscan Grill Questions

Originally posted by charger10s View Post
    I have a porcelain coated cast iron grill that I want to put some legs on to make a Tuscan grill.
    Any suggestions on what people have used for legs? I was thinking of using some big carriage bolts anchored in some small square firebrick pieces for feet.
    There are some metals that I should avoid though, right?

Thanks!
    Ideal material would be stainless or un plated (no zinc) bolts, but the jury is out as to weather the amount of zinc or the heat in the oven is able to vaporize the zinc, zinc is toxic as a vapor and breathed, but the heat of the oven is not high enough to vaporize zinc and the operator would unlikely be able to breathe the high temp gases coming off the oven.

Zinc is naturaly occurring and is consumed in some foods, in low quantities it is not known to cause any issues, the effects of zinc poisoning from welding (very high temp) are temporary but significant and that is from breathing the fumes.

Chip.
    Last edited by mrchipster; 10-05-2012, 06:22 AM.
    Chip

Comment

If we are only talking about carriage bolts/nuts and can't locate them in unplated or SS. Find an open area, start some charcoal in a temporary firepit, and place them in the burning coals. The zinc will be gone well before the coals cool off .
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Legs made of bolts (or anything else) will bend out of shape pretty fast unless they are thick enough. For example I've found out that 1 cm (0.4 inches) square iron bar is not sturdy enough to avoid some bending when heated in the oven.

Comment

Originally posted by Laku View Post
          Legs made of bolts (or anything else) will bend out of shape pretty fast unless they are thick enough. For example I've found out that 1 cm (0.4 inches) square iron bar is not sturdy enough to avoid some bending when heated in the oven.
          I will deal with that should it happen by putting a short piece of black steel pipe over the bolt, a washer will allow me to go to any diameter of pipe required; but I believe 1/2 inch steel gas pipe should be more than adequate.

Chip
          Chip

Comment

I used 1/4" bolts because that is the size that neatly fit the slots in the grill plate. It's four years old and the bolts have not bent. I think because of conduction the grill plate acts as a heat sink and they would never get anywhere near red heat.The bolts are also pretty short.Chip, if you put some pipe around the bolts then you won"t be able to easily adjust the height. suggest you try it first to get the height you want then add the pipe if you want.
            Last edited by david s; 10-06-2012, 01:20 PM.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

B
              Originally posted by david s View Post
              I used 1/4" bolts because that is the size that neatly fit the slots in the grill plate. It's four years old and the bolts have not bent. I think because of conduction the grill plate acts as a heat sink and they would never get anywhere near red heat.The bolts are also pretty short.Chip, if you put some pipe around the bolts then you won"t be able to easily adjust the height. suggest you try it first to get the height you want then add the pipe if you want.
              David, since I have 2 of them I might make two different heights but for now I will just stay with the bolts at the same height, BTW why is yours so low, is it hard to have coals under the grill?

Chip
              Chip

Comment

The reason it's so low is because my oven is really small and I don't have much height in the door.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                X