concerned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• concerned

I have been curing my oven over that last week and a half. Last night was my last curing fire and I was able to get up to get the dome to clear around 900 degrees. I noticed one small crack in the dome which I am not concerned about. This morning however I noted two cracks in the hearth of the oven. I have been going slower with my curing because I have suspected I had some moisture in my board insulation below the oven floor. My guess is that residual moisture in the insulating board caused the cracks in the hearth. Should I be concerned? The other one looks like the one below. Thanks in advance, Mike

Re: concerned

Is this crack through the structural suspended slab ?

Comment

Unfortunately, yes.

Comment

"Unfortunately, yes."

How much reinforcing was used and how was it placed ? Generally in a well reinforced structural slab, hairline cracking is not a concern.

What you want to watch for now is any sign of deflection in the slab (sagging or hogging). Monitor the crack closely for any evidence it is opening at either the top or at the bottom. If you are going to have a slab failure it is likely to occur in the first month or so.

In the worst case, if you detect sagging, an option exists to place another wall inside to further support the slab.
        Last edited by Neil2; 10-09-2011, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Here is a pic of the hearth pour. I cant tell if the crack goes across the whole slab because my oven and enclosure are on top of it.

Comment

Not a concern, carry on.

Comment

Yeah, I agree with the above comment. Your slab looks like it's very well designed and reinforced.
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
              Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Working...
              X