Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aussie 42" Build - looking for Inspiration!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie 42" Build - looking for Inspiration!!

Hi All.
    I have started my build after getting all of my gear ready.
    I have a 6" foundation, double brick stand and another 6" slab for the hearth. On top of that there is a 50mm Vermicrete base, a 50mm Calcium Silicate Board layer then the 305x305mm floor tiles.
    The bricks are 230x115x75/63mm and I have spent a day cutting them all in half (except for the ones for the arch).

What I can't seem to work out is should I lay the first ring on the sides or on their ends keeping in mind that they have already been cut in half.

Would also like to see how other people have done their transitions, the opening will be the recommended 12" x 19" (this will be the high 20" oven) and will have a reveal of approx 1" all the way around.

The reveal is doing my head in. Everything else seems to be falling into place.

Thanks in advance guys and gals!!

PS. Sorry about the crappy phone photos..

Re: Aussie 42" Build - looking for Inspiration!!

Hi Hammo7
    Let me be the first to tell you Congrats on your progress!!!
    You have done your homework well and the discription of your work to date is spot on...you know the language well.
    If your worried about the transition from arch to dome....go to Karangi dudes build in the Aussie section for inspiration. Check the photos out you'll find his use of the indespensible tool to mark out and cut the arch bricks a great help.
    Wouldn't be to worried about the revel at this stage..... by the time you have finished an arch and dome you'll be a pro and will be able to do it with ease.
    I see from the photos the first layer of bricks is below the hearth level...just lay another layer straight before you start you curve?

Regards Dave
    PS Pics are alright if your worried ther a little dark everyone else takes there shots at days end too!
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 10-12-2011, 04:52 AM.
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hey Dave.
      Thanks for the congrats and the confidence booster!! I was going to do what you had suggested with the second row tonight, but CBF'd knocking up a batch of homebrew so didn't even get the first row in!

Will get stuck into it on the weekend, hope to get atleast 4 chains up!

Cheers,
      Hammo.

Comment

Originally posted by hammo7 View Post
        then the 305x305mm floor tiles.
        They seem to have a beveled edge, or is it just the photo?

It seems a lot of extra work to cut the floor inside the dome, I would have laid the dome on the floor.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi Al.
          The bricks are tapered - they are 75/63's.
          Wasn't that hard to cut the floor tiles. That way It will be easiet to replace bricks if they ever crack/break.

Cheers,
          Hammo.

Comment

Hi Karangi Dude.

I don't have any straight bricks, they are all the 75/63's. I think I ended up paying $2.50 or $2.75 each.

The tapers fit the curve well, I will still have mortar joints going around the oven, but minimal joints going up the chains (if that makes any sense).

I really like your 48" build, how is it going so far? I would like to replicate the reveal and opening. I also like the way you have kept it clean during the build.

Wang is not too far away, I work with 4 people who commute each day.

Cheers,
            Hammo

Comment

Hammo,
              Since all your bricks are tapered, can't you just rotate the next course of bricks to angle 180* from the brick below? If not, you could place all the bricks with the large end facing in and fill the gap on the outside with mortar - at least for the few initial courses that will make up your vertical walls.
              As far as acquiring advice from a 'local' mentor, you lucked out. You can't get any better than Doug.
              John

Comment

Originally posted by hammo7 View Post
                The bricks are tapered - they are 75/63's.
                The floor tiles man, the floor tiles.
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                  They seem to have a beveled edge, or is it just the photo?

It seems a lot of extra work to cut the floor inside the dome, I would have laid the dome on the floor.
                  Al.
                  Sorry mate, only just fully read your post! The floor tiles do look beveled because I hit them with a grinder as there were so many edges to catch on.

Comment

Doug/John.
                    To work out the curve, I just put enough bricks on their end to make a circle, then measured from side to side and was close to 40". So I now assume that I need to make my dome 20" from the floor level on the inside. So Johns idea looks to be the way to go.

Thanks for clearing it up for me guys!!

Comment

G'day Hammo,
                      I cut my floor bricks the same way you did but with the first layer of dome bricks standing up with their thin edge facing in ,the indespensible tool worked well and formed up the dome well from there. Good luck mate, it looks fantastic so far.
                      Matt

Comment

Hey Matt.
                        Ended up turning the second chain around (after laying it, then pulling it down to re-lay it).
                        I am about to start chain 6 after a hard day on sunday, should have the dome complete by this weekend).

Comment

Working...
                        X