Floor insulation options because of a lack of materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Floor insulation options because of a lack of materials

Cotton and wool may burn if placed in direct contact with the floor bricks or inner dome walls. They may be ok further away from the heat. Likewise coal.

Chalk is a possibility but it attracts water really well and you might have to mug kids in school to get it which may impede their education unless there is a local quarry.

Salt turns to mush in really humid conditions.

Broken glass is not bad, it is the air spaces that create the insulation. It won't attract water and won't burn. Use broken bottles so the pieces will be curved to create larger air spaces.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thank you every body for your suggestions.
      I would ask since broken glass is just for creating air spaces, Can one just leave the space between the dome and the walls empty?
      What do you recommend regarding pumice and scoria?
      Actually, because of the conflict in Aleppo, most manufacturers either closed or moved outside and are no longer available.
      Last edited by v12spirit; 02-15-2014, 09:06 PM.
      Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
      I forgot who said that.

Comment

G'day
        Why not try diatomaceous type products like kitty litter or the granular stuff used to clean up oil spills. It has been used in the past as insulation in agar stoves. Seems to tick the box for insulation and being non flammable. So it perhaps could be made with Portland as a binder as an insulator over the dome.
        Regards dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once
        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
        My Door
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by v12spirit View Post
          Thank you every body for your suggestions.
          I would ask since broken glass is just for creating air spaces, Can one just leave the space between the dome and the walls empty?
          What do you recommend regarding pumice and scoria?
          Actually, because of the conflict in Aleppo, most manufacturers either closed or moved outside and are no longer available.
          You could use just an air space but the problem is that the air in that space will move around and carry the heat with it. So preventing movement gives you a better outcome.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
            G'day
            Why not try diatomaceous type products like kitty litter or the granular stuff used to clean up oil spills. It has been used in the past as insulation in agar stoves. Seems to tick the box for insulation and being non flammable. So it perhaps could be made with Portland as a binder as an insulator over the dome.
            Regards dave
            Hi cobblerdave would you clarify this more?
            I forgot who said that.

Comment

G'day
              Diatomaceous earth has a lot of uses from worm control in animals to purifying water. It's mostly silica and the small holes to make it useful are formed from the remains of single cell animals left in sedimentary rock.
              I did a bit if research a few years ago but didnt take it any further. I certainly has some high temperature insulation properties as it was used as the insulation of the Agar slow combustion stoves. It was also used after WW11 and added to cement to gain a lighter and more insulating slab in tilt construction.
              I had a look this afternoon at a few things to jog my memory. But basically have nothing firm. It probably doesn't get used due to the fact pearlite and other more efficient products are more readily available.
              I recon it would be worth doing some research. But it comes down to what's available and affordable, in you local area.
              The Pompeii ovens a good design but it does depend on good modern manufactured insulation to work as it should.
              If worse comes to worse I suppose you could use the dry clean sand and glass bottles for the under slab . And for the dome chopped straw held together with a watery clay "slip".
              I must stress though these are not efficient and you have to put in as much effort as you would to make a properly efficiently insulated oven.
              Both these methods would not be expected to last very long at a guess.
              Hope something here helps
              Regards dave
              Last edited by cobblerdave; 02-16-2014, 02:48 AM.
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thank you for clarification,
                One thought came to me. If I go to the scrap dealer and buy the insulators that are stuffed in scrap refrigerators will that do? and if I use them for insulating the floor does their insulation efficiency diminish due to compressing the blanket under the weight of the oven?
                I forgot who said that.

Comment

yes
                  the more it compresses the less air it traps the less effective it is.

Comment

Working...
                  X