Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curing times????

Hi there all

Can anyone let me know if it is incorrect to base coat stucco on the same day as the day I have finished the outer insulation (vermic and concrete which has just covered the two layers of insulation blanket), I guess after a 12 month build and the fact that I can see the first firing soon I am getting a little excited. there really is a lot to a pompeii oven. Cheers Kris

Re: curing times????

Kris,

I don't see a problem with that. It might even be better to have everything meld together as it sets.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Have just completed my first stucco scratch layer. Do I have to wait until I have completed that final stucco layer before start the firing??????

Comment

Given the large amount of water in the vermicrete layer, I think it is better to do the drying fires before the stucco. That waybthebwatervcan escape more easily. If you stucco over wet vermicrete you are holding the water in. Remember that one litre of water makes 1000 liters of steam. That steam can easily crack the outer shell as it expands. If there is no outer shell there when you do the drying fires then you can't crack it.
        100 litres vermicrete will take about 30 litres water which equals 30,000 litres of steam.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
        X